A flood warning has been issued for parts of the South Devon coast ahead of high tides, strong winds and large waves forecast for Wednesday morning.
The Environment Agency said flooding is expected for up to three hours either side of high tide on 18 February, with hazardous conditions likely along exposed coastal areas including Hallsands, Beesands, Torcross, Slapton, Blackpool Sands, Teignmouth Promenade and Dawlish.
High water at Exmouth is forecast for 7.30am, with tide levels reaching 2.24mAOD - 0.27m above tide table levels. Strong force 6 easterly winds are predicted, with offshore wave heights of more than 2.3 metres.
Recent storms have increased the risk of wave overtopping at Torcross. Officials have warned that wave spray may contain debris and have advised people to avoid exposed coastal roads, footpaths and car parks.
The A379 Slapton Line beyond Torcross car park towards Dartmouth remains closed following earlier storm damage.
South Devon MP Caroline Voaden said agencies were preparing for the high tide period.
She said: “Please be assured the Environment Agency and South Hams District Council are working incredibly hard in advance of tomorrow’s high tide period. The Environment Agency has enhanced its flood warning service for Torcross and Beesands, so please make sure to sign up for alerts. South Hams District Council also has a clean-up team on standby should further damage to the A379 occur. Hopefully they will not be needed.”
The warning comes as concerns continue over the long-term future of the A379 at Slapton Line following severe storm damage earlier this month.
Speaking during Prime Minister’s Questions, Ms Voaden said: “Thousands who used [the road] to commute to school, work and healthcare are stranded, bus routes broken, emergency vehicles blocked, and the 300,000 visitors who come annually and underpin our fragile tourist economy now in doubt.”
She urged the government to ensure a coordinated response to coastal erosion and storm damage affecting the area.
Prime Minister Keir Starmer said communities had been “badly affected” and described the damage to the A379 as “very concerning”.
The Environment Agency said coastal conditions are expected to ease by Wednesday evening’s high tide and confirmed it is closely monitoring the situation. The warning will be updated by 4pm on 18 February or sooner if conditions change.
Residents can sign up for flood alerts via the Environment Agency or contact Floodline on 0345 988 1188 for advice.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.