Whtifeld signs for Stockport
- Credit: Dave Crawford/PPAUK
Winger Ben Whitfield has left Torquay United and signed a two-year deal with National League rivals Stockport County.
The 25-year-old former Gulls Player of the Year follows goalkeeper Lucas Covolan (Port Vale) and defender Kyle Cameron (Notts County) out of Plainmoor in recent weeks.
Whitfield, who missed United's Play-Off Final defeat with injury, had been linked with several EFL and NL sides, but he has opted to sign for the club where he made his last Torquay appearance - as a substitute in the 2-2 draw at Edgeley Park in May.
Out-of-contract Whitfield, who was signed from Port Vale two years ago, scored 13 goals in 65 appearances for United.
He 'tweeted': "It's been a two years I will never forget, and it's given me an opportunity elsewhere.
"Yellow Army, you welcomed me from Day One, and for that I will be forever grateful."
Gulls manager Gary Johnson has confirmed that goalkeeper Shaun MacDonald will also be leaving, although winger Aaron Nemane is still mulling over a new deal at Plainmoor.
- 1 It's taken a generation but it is definitely now Paignton's turn
- 2 Jim Parker: Now is the Time for action after Chief Constable's revealing walkabout
- 3 Pre-season fundraiser in memory of footballers Kyle and Hayden
- 4 Retro Sport: Tracking Plainmoor heroes of the 1950s
- 5 Argyle sharpness defeats United
- 6 Laura will use Equity role to change attitudes about regional theatre
- 7 Regency-style terrace was leased to the rich and famous
- 8 Busy time in the transfer market
- 9 Farewell to Wellswood
- 10 £900,000 state-of-art gym signals start of new era at RIC
"Shaun won't be re-signing," said Johnson, who is poised to make the first of his own summer signings. "He wants to find pastures new.
"He's been a good servant, and we wish him well."