Whtifeld signs for Stockport
- Credit: Dave Crawford/PPAUK
Winger Ben Whitfield has left Torquay United and signed a two-year deal with National League rivals Stockport County.
The 25-year-old former Gulls Player of the Year follows goalkeeper Lucas Covolan (Port Vale) and defender Kyle Cameron (Notts County) out of Plainmoor in recent weeks.
Whitfield, who missed United's Play-Off Final defeat with injury, had been linked with several EFL and NL sides, but he has opted to sign for the club where he made his last Torquay appearance - as a substitute in the 2-2 draw at Edgeley Park in May.
Out-of-contract Whitfield, who was signed from Port Vale two years ago, scored 13 goals in 65 appearances for United.
He 'tweeted': "It's been a two years I will never forget, and it's given me an opportunity elsewhere.
"Yellow Army, you welcomed me from Day One, and for that I will be forever grateful."
Gulls manager Gary Johnson has confirmed that goalkeeper Shaun MacDonald will also be leaving, although winger Aaron Nemane is still mulling over a new deal at Plainmoor.
- 1 Probus Club 'home' at last to hear about ghosts, gallows and 'Big Foot'
- 2 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 3 Athletics: Busy and successful weeks on racing calendar
- 4 Junior anglers take the fishing limelight
- 5 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 6 Securing future of Pavilion takes step forward
- 7 Gig racing: Brixham hosts Cornish Pilot Gig Association's veterans' championships
- 8 Feline Network Cat Rescue: Can you offer a home to a golden oldie?
- 9 Fostering - why not consider a vocation that makes a real difference?
- 10 John 'flabbergasted' as he is shortlisted for top award
"Shaun won't be re-signing," said Johnson, who is poised to make the first of his own summer signings. "He wants to find pastures new.
"He's been a good servant, and we wish him well."