Victory lifts Paignton back to top of table
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Sri Lankan all-rounder Sehan Weerasinghe led Paignton to a 59-run victory over Devon Cricket League title rivals Sandford, lifting George Benton's men back to the top of the Premier Division table.
Coming in at 57-3, Weerasinghe anchored a Paignton innings of 226-9 at Creedy Park with a knock of 72 off 87 balls, including seven fours and a six.
Benton (30), Archie Farkins (29) and Richard Ashworth (28) all helped the cause.
Then spinner Weerasinghe took 2-23 off seven overs as Sandford were dismissed for 167 in 37 overs (Connor Ashworth 3-29, Luke Medlock 2-23).
Paignton (75pts) now lead Sandford by two points ahead of a home game against Sidmouth this Saturday.
There was one worrying development elsewhere - the Bovey Tracey v Hatherleigh game was called off because six visiting players had to self-isolate under Covid-19 rules.
In the A Division, Torquay (5th) shared wickets around to skittle Seaton out for 108 and knocked them off for the loss of only Chris Kelmere (37). Tim Western scored an unbeaten 39.
- 1 Havant & Waterlooville 4 Torquay United 2
- 2 Gary Johnson: "Our travelling fans were let down"
- 3 Torbay Triathlon Club's bumper results amid bumpy weather
- 4 New signings on their way despite win
- 5 Power lift for MND awareness raises over £13k
- 6 Double celebration as South Devon College awards own degrees for first time
- 7 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 8 Big Cup night for the Gulls
- 9 United Community Day - it's a 'sell-out'
- 10 Family 'overwhelmed' by tributes after death of rugby and port legend Bern
Barton are up to sixth, 12 points behind leaders Tavistock, after back-to-back wins, this time over Abbotskerswell at Cricketfield Road.
Aussie all-rounder Saker and Darren Cowley were the stars - Saker took 3-37 and Cowley 3-11 in Abbots' 175 - then Saker scored 51no and Cowley 41 as Barton cruised home by six wickets with 15 overs to spare.
B Division leaders Kilmington and Chudleigh both lost for the first time.
Stoke Gabriel are second in C West after an eight-wicket win over Cornwood (Michael Meech 75no), while Joel Ashworth's 84 helped Paignton 2nds crush Brixham by 149 runs at Queen's Park.
Brixham face Stoke at home this Saturday.
Other fixtures for local clubs include: Premier - Exmouth v Bovey; A - Barton v Bradninch, Cullompton v Torquay, Abbotskerswell v Budleigh Salterton; B - Dartington/Totnes v Kilmington, Ipplepen v Thorverton, Bideford v Chudleigh, Bovey II v Plymstock; C West - Ashburton v Paignton II, Bridestowe v Teignmouth/Shaldon, Cornwood II v South Devon; D West - Plymstock II v Chelston/Kingskerswell, Babbacombe v Barton II, Kingsbridge v Ipplepen II, Yelverton v Abbots II.