Basketball: Victory for Torbay Tigers but North Devon pushed them all the way
- Credit: Submitted
A thriller was instore for Torbay Tigers in their Inter Division clash with Division Two North Devon.
The Tigers were very subdued in their match, taking nothing away from North Devon, who came and produced an outstanding game.
By the end of the first quarter North Devon had a two-point lead as Tigers struggled to break down the North Devon defence, plus the tall Newton-Clark who always seemed to be in the right location.
As the Tigers progressed into the second quarter it seemed they were running out of answers and with the introduction of Alex Boardman to the North Devon offence and his three-point shots, North Devon finished the half 33-21 up.
The third quarter is notoriously the time when Torbay re-group after a strong team talk, and although Tigers started chipping away at the lead, North Devon were not running out of steam after their long journey down and still held a five-point lead at the break.
Strangely it was North Devon that took the game to Tigers in the fourth period, and up to the fifth minute maintained their five-point lead and extended it at time.
Tigers had to find the answer and ex under-18 player Finn Evans took up the mantle.
- 1 Property of the Week: Stunning seaside holiday let property
- 2 Great win on the road for United
- 3 Torquay United under-18s triumph over league leaders
- 4 Swiss Raw crew cross finish line to win Atlantic rowing race
- 5 Gulls savour 'huge three points'
- 6 Saluting top man 'Skivvo' as he announces he's leaving the Glovers
- 7 Afghan refugee family move to Torbay after delays
- 8 Tribute to talented artist and craftswoman Mandy, who brought out the best in those she taught
- 9 Solar farms are power to council's elbow but don't forget the Gulls - and the archers!
- 10 2021 Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge rowers heading for finish line
He dropped one 3, then as Tigers headed towards the final minute, slotted a second to bring Tigers within a point with a few seconds left, and who should pop up with the winning 3 - yes, Evans... a game won 58-56 by Tigers, but North Devon pushed them all the way!
If you weren't there to see it, catch the full game on our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0rDOnb6Vl8
The result leaves Tigers joint second in the table with just one defeat this season.
This week, they have a home Division One encounter with Exeter University II on today, December 2, and an away cup fixture on Saturday, December 4, against Exeter University III.
Torquay Trailblazers were also home this past week against Exeter University III in their Division Three game.
Not a great deal to say about the game, they weren't at the races in the first half at a cold Paignton hub and trailing 21-35, left themselves too much to do.
They finished the game 64-44 down.
Division Three home game for them next week against Tiverton Titans to see if they can find their way back to winning.