Unlikely win could turn into key result of season
- Credit: Phil Mingo/PPAUK
It was one of the most unlikely wins of the season - 'fantastic' skipper George Benton called it - but Paignton's two-wicket victory over champions Tiverton Heathcoat could turn into a key result in this season's Tolchards Devon Cricket League championship.
They played through seven rain delays at Queen's Park on a day when only nine of 73 scheduled matches were completed across the county.
But that persistence paid off as early leaders Paignton pipped Heathcoat by two wickets with one ball to spare chasing a reduced target of 119 in 20 overs.
After Tiverton had been bowled out for 152 amid four stops, the target was first reduced to 141 and then to 119, and when Paignton slid from 93-4 to 103-8 in the space of two overs, the visitors looked favourites.
But Cole Harford and Joel Ashworth saw Paignton home, and they now hold a nine-point lead heading to second-placed Exmouth this Saturday.
A half-century by Tim Western (53) and 45 from Chris Kelmere eked out a couple of extra points for Torquay before the rain halted their A Division game against Bradninch at the Recreation Ground.
That sets up a tasty local derby against Barton at Cricketfield Road this Saturday.
- 1 Main frame of new Torquay hotel will rise out of the ground this month
- 2 Tributes to our Mike - a true Torquinian and family man
- 3 Torquay company gets Twitter boost from Theo Paphitis
- 4 Gulls inconsolable after defeat
- 5 'Passionate and privileged' - that's Hospice at Home team member Donna
- 6 Hartlepool United 1 Torquay United 1 (Hartlepool win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)
- 7 Typical mistakes you should avoid when selling your home
- 8 Local rescues are your first port of call for kittens
- 9 The Brit Awards and gender: A shift in attitude or just for show?
- 10 Trio get their running shoes on for Bay half marathon fund-raiser
Chudleigh continued their bright start to the B Division season with a five-wicket win against Thorverton, but it was a depressingly soggy story nearly everywhere else.
This Saturday's local club fixtures include:
Premier - Exmouth v Paignton, Bovey Tracey v Sandford.
A Division - Barton v Torquay, Abbotskerswell v Plympton.
B Division - Ipplepen v Bovey Tracey II, Ivybridge v Dartington/Totnes, Chudleigh v Kilmington.
CWest - Plymouth II v Brixham, Ashburton v Hatherleigh II, Paignton II v South Devon.
DWest - Plympton II v Barton II, Plymstock II v Babbacombe, Chelston/Kingskerswell v Abbotskerswell II, Whitchurch v Ipplepen II.