Unlikely win could turn into key result of season
- Credit: Phil Mingo/PPAUK
It was one of the most unlikely wins of the season - 'fantastic' skipper George Benton called it - but Paignton's two-wicket victory over champions Tiverton Heathcoat could turn into a key result in this season's Tolchards Devon Cricket League championship.
They played through seven rain delays at Queen's Park on a day when only nine of 73 scheduled matches were completed across the county.
But that persistence paid off as early leaders Paignton pipped Heathcoat by two wickets with one ball to spare chasing a reduced target of 119 in 20 overs.
After Tiverton had been bowled out for 152 amid four stops, the target was first reduced to 141 and then to 119, and when Paignton slid from 93-4 to 103-8 in the space of two overs, the visitors looked favourites.
But Cole Harford and Joel Ashworth saw Paignton home, and they now hold a nine-point lead heading to second-placed Exmouth this Saturday.
A half-century by Tim Western (53) and 45 from Chris Kelmere eked out a couple of extra points for Torquay before the rain halted their A Division game against Bradninch at the Recreation Ground.
That sets up a tasty local derby against Barton at Cricketfield Road this Saturday.
- 1 Wrong red for Wrexham
- 2 FA Cup defeat creates two-week break for Gulls
- 3 Midweek shocks in the National League
- 4 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 5 Casting announced for The Osmonds: A New Musical at Princess Theatre
- 6 Property of the Week: Simply striking family home in semi-rural setting
- 7 Kelly’s 100 miles for Breast Cancer awareness
- 8 Show is world’s largest gathering of more than 3,000 iconic classic and vintage cars and motorbikes
- 9 Torquay United gaffer and players give Community Day a 'big thumbs up'
- 10 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
Chudleigh continued their bright start to the B Division season with a five-wicket win against Thorverton, but it was a depressingly soggy story nearly everywhere else.
This Saturday's local club fixtures include:
Premier - Exmouth v Paignton, Bovey Tracey v Sandford.
A Division - Barton v Torquay, Abbotskerswell v Plympton.
B Division - Ipplepen v Bovey Tracey II, Ivybridge v Dartington/Totnes, Chudleigh v Kilmington.
CWest - Plymouth II v Brixham, Ashburton v Hatherleigh II, Paignton II v South Devon.
DWest - Plympton II v Barton II, Plymstock II v Babbacombe, Chelston/Kingskerswell v Abbotskerswell II, Whitchurch v Ipplepen II.