Torquay victory as more holes knocked into Devon Cricket League programme
- Credit: Cameron Geran/PPAUK
Several big issues have still to be decided in this Saturday's final round of matches, but a combination of Covid-19 'cancellations' and English summer weather has caused many divisions of the Devon Cricket League to drift towards a 'damp squib' conclusion.
The league's decision to switch to a 'points-average' system, for placings and for cancelled matches, may have worked out for some clubs.
But, with increasing numbers of games called off for 'isolation' reasons, it has left a sour taste in other mouths.
Last weekend's programme had more big holes knocked in it - the Premier Division programme was wiped out bar one match and Barton, whose charge into A Division promotion contention has been halted by three successive blank days, were off again.
But Torquay, who have suffered similar frustrations, did pull off an exciting win over Tavistock.
Kesh Wijerathne (4-40) and Harry Baxendale (3-38) helped to dismiss Tavistock for 235, before the target was reduced to 174 off 38 overs.
Tim Western's 82 off 97 balls anchored the chase, with Callum Stanley (33) and then Tom Drake's 22 off 21 balls seeing Torquay home by seven wickets with eight balls to spare.
- 1 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award
- 2 Family 'overwhelmed' by tributes after death of rugby and port legend Bern
- 3 New loan signing for United
- 4 Torbay Business Forum pair nominated for national awards
- 5 John 'flabbergasted' as he is shortlisted for top award
- 6 Death of former Gulls winger Tony Scott in Australia
- 7 Cricket: All-rounder Craig Eaves returns to Brixham with eye on overdue promotion
- 8 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 9 Torbay builders merchant calling out to charities
- 10 New travel agency promises 'booking process as exciting as holiday itself'
Tiverton Heathcoat (Premier), Bradninch (A Div), Thorverton (B) and Bridestowe (C West) are all poised to be crowned champions, but there are still some promotion and relegations issues to settle.
In the Premier, there's a tense showdown this weekend between the bottom two, Hatherleigh and Exmouth.
Dartington and Totnes may need to beat leaders Thorverton at home to seal their B Division safety and it's still tight at the bottom of D West with Ipplepen 2nds, Abbotskerswell 2nds and Chelston and Kingskerswell all involved.
Final day fixtures for local clubs this Saturday include: Premier - Paignton v Plymouth, Sidmouth v Bovey Tracey, A - Plympton v Torquay, North Devon v Barton, Cullompton v Abbotskerswell; B - Ipplepen v Ivybridge, Dartington/Totnes v Thorverton, Bovey II v Bideford; C West - Stoke Gabriel v Paignton II, South Devon v Teignmouth/Shaldon, Brixham v Ashburton; D West - Babbacombe v Ipplepen II, Barton II v Chelston/Kingskerswell, Abbotskerswell II v Plympton II.