Torquay United sign Dean Moxey from rivals Exeter
- Credit: Tom Sandberg/PPAUK
A setback for recovering left-back Liam Davis has prompted Torquay United to sign versatile defender Dean Moxey from Devon rivals Exeter City.
Former Grecians Derby County, Crystal Palace and Bolton player Moxey, 34, has been training with the Gulls in recent days, because it has emerged that long-serving Davis' comeback from a serious ankle injury has not been straightforward.
Moxey, who has just had League Two play-off disappointment with Exeter last season, was freed at St James Park after their Wembley defeat by Northampton Town.
The length of his new contract at Plainmoor has not been disclosed, but Gulls manager Gary Johnson said: 'Unfortunately, Liam Davis is going to be out longer than anticipated.
'We had to act quickly, and we have.
'Like Liam, Dean is very experienced and a player that we all know.
'He's already shown his character, commitment and quality in our training. He's still got ambitions, and it's another statement of intent by our club's directors.'
- 1 Torquay United 2 King's Lynn Town 0
- 2 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 3 Defensive duties at Torquay United
- 4 Rowing: Excellent conditions for river Dart racing
- 5 Let's get together - reconnecting with people is food for the soul
- 6 Dr Peter Moore: I don't need an app giving me a 'medal' for brushing my teeth properly!
- 7 War veteran wins Brixham Lottery - with cards bought for his 105th birthday
- 8 Keith Perry: Family-friendly ramble around park that's home to variety of wildlife
- 9 Bid to rid town of Crossways eyesore takes giant leap forward
- 10 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award
Moxey said: 'I've had a long career and been lucky enough to win a few promotions.
'I came back to Exeter to try and win another promotion, and I am at Torquay now looking to get that promotion back to the Football League.
'Gary is ambitious. I would't have come here just to settle down. I want to win things - that's the aim.'