Torquay United sign Dean Moxey from rivals Exeter
- Credit: Tom Sandberg/PPAUK
A setback for recovering left-back Liam Davis has prompted Torquay United to sign versatile defender Dean Moxey from Devon rivals Exeter City.
Former Grecians Derby County, Crystal Palace and Bolton player Moxey, 34, has been training with the Gulls in recent days, because it has emerged that long-serving Davis' comeback from a serious ankle injury has not been straightforward.
Moxey, who has just had League Two play-off disappointment with Exeter last season, was freed at St James Park after their Wembley defeat by Northampton Town.
The length of his new contract at Plainmoor has not been disclosed, but Gulls manager Gary Johnson said: 'Unfortunately, Liam Davis is going to be out longer than anticipated.
'We had to act quickly, and we have.
'Like Liam, Dean is very experienced and a player that we all know.
'He's already shown his character, commitment and quality in our training. He's still got ambitions, and it's another statement of intent by our club's directors.'
- 1 Hilton opens its doors - with a little help from Bert & Buoy and a Riviera palm tree
- 2 500,000 meals and still going strong
- 3 Relentless from Torquay United
- 4 Four to battle in Bay by-election
- 5 Torbay has it all - and we all have a part to play in tourism future
- 6 Joelene to lead special police scrutiny panel
- 7 Absolutely ridiculous and selfish
- 8 TW Predicta April 22
- 9 Concluding the debate about diesel v petrol v electric cars
- 10 Rowers - and Mr Portillo - in bid to go round world in 80 days and raise money for Rowcroft
Moxey said: 'I've had a long career and been lucky enough to win a few promotions.
'I came back to Exeter to try and win another promotion, and I am at Torquay now looking to get that promotion back to the Football League.
'Gary is ambitious. I would't have come here just to settle down. I want to win things - that's the aim.'