Torquay United sign Dean Moxey from rivals Exeter
- Credit: Tom Sandberg/PPAUK
A setback for recovering left-back Liam Davis has prompted Torquay United to sign versatile defender Dean Moxey from Devon rivals Exeter City.
Former Grecians Derby County, Crystal Palace and Bolton player Moxey, 34, has been training with the Gulls in recent days, because it has emerged that long-serving Davis' comeback from a serious ankle injury has not been straightforward.
Moxey, who has just had League Two play-off disappointment with Exeter last season, was freed at St James Park after their Wembley defeat by Northampton Town.
The length of his new contract at Plainmoor has not been disclosed, but Gulls manager Gary Johnson said: 'Unfortunately, Liam Davis is going to be out longer than anticipated.
'We had to act quickly, and we have.
'Like Liam, Dean is very experienced and a player that we all know.
'He's already shown his character, commitment and quality in our training. He's still got ambitions, and it's another statement of intent by our club's directors.'
- 1 It's taken a generation but it is definitely now Paignton's turn
- 2 Jim Parker: Now is the Time for action after Chief Constable's revealing walkabout
- 3 Pre-season fundraiser in memory of footballers Kyle and Hayden
- 4 Retro Sport: Tracking Plainmoor heroes of the 1950s
- 5 Argyle sharpness defeats United
- 6 Laura will use Equity role to change attitudes about regional theatre
- 7 Regency-style terrace was leased to the rich and famous
- 8 Busy time in the transfer market
- 9 Farewell to Wellswood
- 10 £900,000 state-of-art gym signals start of new era at RIC
Moxey said: 'I've had a long career and been lucky enough to win a few promotions.
'I came back to Exeter to try and win another promotion, and I am at Torquay now looking to get that promotion back to the Football League.
'Gary is ambitious. I would't have come here just to settle down. I want to win things - that's the aim.'