United boss Gary ‘disappointed’ as season brought to an end
- Credit: Steve Bond/Pinnacle
Torquay United boss Gary Johnson gives his verdict on season shutdown
TORQUAY United manager Gary Johnson says the Vanarama National League's decision to end the current football season now, in the face of the Coronavirus shutdown, is 'a big disappointment'.
It was announced on Wednesday that 'a clear majority' of clubs have voted to accept the league board's recommendation not to play the remaining games up to this weekend's last round of regular-season fixtures.
How other key issues, like promotion and relegation, will be resolved will now come under 'careful and timely consideration'. There may be another vote on those matters.
In a strong hint that Torquay, in mid-table but with an outside chance of the Play-Offs, wanted to play their last ten matches if possible, Johnson said: 'It's a big disappointment to me.
'I am disappointed for my players, staff and all the supporters.
'Of course I understand that there is a greater challenge happening in our society, and all our efforts at the moment need to go into tackling it.
- 1 Can you help free the Rowcroft Six - or shall we let them stay where they are?
- 2 Exeter Chiefs replace Native-American brand with nod to Devon's history
- 3 Johnson promised cash to 'build bigger, stronger squad'
- 4 New singers welcome as Torbay Gilbert and Sullivan Society start The Mikado rehearsals
- 5 Hero awards finalist Chris has that spark which makes him extra special!
- 6 From trawler to plate in a day - chef Mitch Tonks bringing Brixham fish straight to customers' doors
- 7 Frying high after 40 years - and raising thousands for charity
- 8 Lift off for Air Show but what about Red Arrows?
- 9 Teams work round clock to dismantle old railway bridge
- 10 Inside Oldway Mansion and a journey through its history
'But my view was always about the hope of playing again when it was safe to do so.
'Did the National League really have to go out on a limb, and make their decision before the Football League and the Premier League?
'We were the last league to finish playing and now we are the first one to end the season.
'Does this decision affect the integrity of the competition? I think it does.
'Clubs had to take part in this first vote without knowing what the result was going to lead to.
'Now it will depend on what options they are given in a second vote.'
Johnson stressed: 'At Torquay United we have got to make sure we come out of this positively.'
He revealed that he and United's chief executive officer George Edwards are due to hold a 'conference' meeting on Thursday to draw up the club's plans for the rest of the summer and preparations for the 2020-2021 season.
'We have let our players and our staff know that we will start talking to them as soon as possible with the results of our discussions,' he said.
The league reported that 90 per cent of the votes had been cast, but that the result would not be changed however the other 10 per cent might go.
NL chief executive Mike Tattersall said: 'At a time when the entire country is wrestling with the devastating impact of Covid-19, the cancellation of the remaining normal season matches brings a degree of certainty to our clubs coping with the business implications of the virus.'