Gulls’ youth programme up and running
- Credit: Steve Bond/Pinnacle
Torquay United's new-look youth development programme is up and running - a fortnight before the Gulls' senior players returning for pre-season training.
And manager Gary Johnson says he's encouraged by the quality of the young players on the scheme and the coaches guiding them.
Johnson and assistant manager Aaron Downes both watched the first training sessions at South Devon College this week.
'First of all, it was great to see how excited the boys were to be together and playing again,' said Johnson.
'A lot of work has gone into improving the scheme over the last few months.
'It's a very good programme now, with some good players and some good coaches, who have been loyal to us, in all the age-groups.'
With the National League not starting their 2020-2021 season until October 3, United's senior players do not report back for work until August 24.
- 1 Havant & Waterlooville 4 Torquay United 2
- 2 Gary Johnson: "Our travelling fans were let down"
- 3 Big Cup night for the Gulls
- 4 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award
- 5 Torbay Triathlon Club's bumper results amid bumpy weather
- 6 Family 'overwhelmed' by tributes after death of rugby and port legend Bern
- 7 New loan signing for United
- 8 John 'flabbergasted' as he is shortlisted for top award
- 9 Death of former Gulls winger Tony Scott in Australia
- 10 New signings on their way despite win
Initially, they will have to work in small groups of five, and be regularly tested, before being allowed to start training as a squad of the 20 players whom Johnson has so far signed up.