Johnson keeps Gulls’ line-up a secret after win over Exeter City
- Credit: Dave Crawford/PPAUK
Torquay United have kept their line-up a secret after goals from Kyle Cameron, Connor Lemonheigh-Evans and substitute Dean Moxey earned a 3-2 pre-season friendly win over Exeter City.
Gulls manager Gary Johnson, whose squad meets Stockport County in the opening game of the National League season at Plainmoor on Saturday, said: “I am not going to give our team out, and we asked Exeter not to release it either, because I don’t want Stockport to know what we did.
“If they want to find out exactly how we played, they’ll have to work hard to do it.”
United are in the last week of their build-up to the season as the National League continues talks with Government and the Football Association over a ‘critical funding package’.
The Exeter win was a timely 65th birthday present to Johnson from his players after a difficult pre-season, overshadowed by the Covid-19 crisis and injuries.
“Exeter put a strong side out, and thanks to them for playing us at short notice,” he said. “All in all, it was a good performance and a good result confidence-wise.
“We have now got two or three who should be back in the squad who haven’t been available up to now.
- 1 First friendly for Torquay United
- 2 Hard-fought affair as Barton win derby
- 3 £15,000 'compensation' as Nemane leaves Torquay United
- 4 South West boasts 'naturally inspiring' crime rates
- 5 Dead head and you'll have chocolate-scented flowers until autumn
- 6 Nemane to Notts
- 7 Spectacular views from Buccaneer's Way walk
- 8 Celebrating the power and strength of local community
- 9 Famous Redcliffe Hotel sold for £4.5 million
- 10 Pro deals for United Academy stars
“With eight games in October, that’s going to be very important.”
In the friendly at Exeter’s training ground, arranged after Bath City called off a planned game at the weekend, United took the lead through a Cameron set-piece header (14).
After the Grecians equalised twice through Nicky Law, United won it with second-half goals by Lemonheigh-Evans (55) and Moxey (83) against his old club.
Moxey, who is suspended for the first three games of the season, had gone on with ten minutes to go.