Bigger picture for Torquay United
- Credit: Micah Crook/PPAUK
Manager Gary Johnson lost no time in pointing to the ‘bigger picture’ after a Torquay United side with five changes had edged Southern League Chesham United 1-0 in the FA Trophy in Buckinghamshire.
Josh Umerah’s 48th minute goal, his third of the season and all in cup-ties, was good enough to earn the Gulls £4,500 in prize money and put them in the Fourth Round draw.
“It wasn’t the most beautiful game in the world, and it wasn’t our best game either, but there is a bigger picture,“ Johnson said.
“The main positives were, first, that we’re through to the next round and, second, we were able to give players like Armani Little and Dean Moxey a good hour, as well as other lads 90 minutes which they needed.
“We were also able to give a bit of rest to people like Connor (Lemonheigh-Evans), Kyle (Cameron) and Danny Wright, who have played almost every minute so far.
“There was a lot of misplaced passes, the pitch wasn’t conducive to good football, through no fault of Chesham’s after all the rain that fell on it, and both teams went a bit longer than they would have liked.
“We defended that well, which was another plus.
- 1 Weekend watch for Torquay United
- 2 Ryan Law returns to Argyle
- 3 Emotional day that revealed close-knit family behind monarchy
- 4 Dramatic bovine rescue from Torbay waters
- 5 Jim Parker: Dave on the warpath again as 'majority lose out to minority' in anti-social battle
- 6 Prince Philip's final resting place will be in tiny chapel
- 7 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
- 8 Spacious and flexible accommodation has been improved, updated, and extended
- 9 Queues form at Trago for Re-Open Day
- 10 Privileged to see jockey Dickie Johnson at Newton Abbot since start of career
“But we know we’ve got to play better than that, and that’s what we aim to do against Yeovil (H) on Boxing Day.”