Torquay United Player of the Season: Top spot for two Bens
- Credit: Steve Bond/Pinnacle
Ben Whitfield has been confirmed as winner of the official Torquay United Player of the Season vote for 2019-20, with Ben Wynter picking up the Young Player of the Season award.
After a poll conducted in partnership between Torquay United and Torbay Weekly, Whitfield secured just over half of the votes for Player of the Season, with Jamie Reid the runner-up and Ben Wynter third.
There was swift consolation for Wynter in just missing out on the main award, as he was announced as the Young Player of the Season, with Matt Buse in second and Jake Andrews in third.
'That's brilliant news,' said Ben Whitfield. The 25-year-old former AFC Bournemouth and Port Vale forward joined the Gulls last September, scored on his debut at Woking (1-1) and went on to hit seven goals in 32 appearances.
He added: 'I wasn't wanted at Vale, and this move to Torquay was to prove some people wrong. I've never regretted it. Thanks to all the fans who voted for me, and I just want to carry on and do even better next season.'
Manager Gary Johnson said: 'I'm delighted that Ben's won the award and pleased that he's staying with us. He was an ever-present after he came to us and, as someone who can play in any forward position, he's a great asset to have in the club.
'Ben [Wynter] is one of two, with Liam Davis, of the best full-backs in the league. He is a likeable character, but he's also a competitor. Another good choice!'
- 1 Torquay United 2 King's Lynn Town 0
- 2 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 3 Defensive duties at Torquay United
- 4 Rowing: Excellent conditions for river Dart racing
- 5 Let's get together - reconnecting with people is food for the soul
- 6 Dr Peter Moore: I don't need an app giving me a 'medal' for brushing my teeth properly!
- 7 War veteran wins Brixham Lottery - with cards bought for his 105th birthday
- 8 Keith Perry: Family-friendly ramble around park that's home to variety of wildlife
- 9 Bid to rid town of Crossways eyesore takes giant leap forward
- 10 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award
Wynter added: 'I'm very grateful for the award, and thank you to everyone that voted as well.'
A huge thank-you to all United fans and Torbay Weekly readers who took part in the vote, and congratulations to Ben Whitfield and Ben Wynter. Details on a presentation ceremony will be announced in due course.
Pick up your Torbay Weekly next Thursday and visit www.torbayweekly.co.uk or www.torquayunited.com for 'Inside the Gulls', a fantastic series shining a light on some of the famous faces, stories and heroes of Plainmoor past.