Torquay United Player of the Season: Top spot for two Bens
- Credit: Steve Bond/Pinnacle
Ben Whitfield has been confirmed as winner of the official Torquay United Player of the Season vote for 2019-20, with Ben Wynter picking up the Young Player of the Season award.
After a poll conducted in partnership between Torquay United and Torbay Weekly, Whitfield secured just over half of the votes for Player of the Season, with Jamie Reid the runner-up and Ben Wynter third.
There was swift consolation for Wynter in just missing out on the main award, as he was announced as the Young Player of the Season, with Matt Buse in second and Jake Andrews in third.
'That's brilliant news,' said Ben Whitfield. The 25-year-old former AFC Bournemouth and Port Vale forward joined the Gulls last September, scored on his debut at Woking (1-1) and went on to hit seven goals in 32 appearances.
He added: 'I wasn't wanted at Vale, and this move to Torquay was to prove some people wrong. I've never regretted it. Thanks to all the fans who voted for me, and I just want to carry on and do even better next season.'
Manager Gary Johnson said: 'I'm delighted that Ben's won the award and pleased that he's staying with us. He was an ever-present after he came to us and, as someone who can play in any forward position, he's a great asset to have in the club.
'Ben [Wynter] is one of two, with Liam Davis, of the best full-backs in the league. He is a likeable character, but he's also a competitor. Another good choice!'
- 1 It's taken a generation but it is definitely now Paignton's turn
- 2 Jim Parker: Now is the Time for action after Chief Constable's revealing walkabout
- 3 Pre-season fundraiser in memory of footballers Kyle and Hayden
- 4 Retro Sport: Tracking Plainmoor heroes of the 1950s
- 5 Argyle sharpness defeats United
- 6 Laura will use Equity role to change attitudes about regional theatre
- 7 Regency-style terrace was leased to the rich and famous
- 8 £900,000 state-of-art gym signals start of new era at RIC
- 9 Busy time in the transfer market
- 10 £25,000 to help tackle anti-social behaviour at Torbay hotspots
Wynter added: 'I'm very grateful for the award, and thank you to everyone that voted as well.'
A huge thank-you to all United fans and Torbay Weekly readers who took part in the vote, and congratulations to Ben Whitfield and Ben Wynter. Details on a presentation ceremony will be announced in due course.
Pick up your Torbay Weekly next Thursday and visit www.torbayweekly.co.uk or www.torquayunited.com for 'Inside the Gulls', a fantastic series shining a light on some of the famous faces, stories and heroes of Plainmoor past.