Torquay United offer contracts to under-18 squad members Owen Price and JJ Evans
- Credit: Cameron Geran/PPAUK
Torquay United are giving first full-time professional contracts to two more of their under-18 squad, JJ Evans and Owen Price.
South Devon College students Evans and Price, who have both represented the England Colleges side, follow striker Olaf Koszela and defender Louie Slough into the Gulls' senior squad.
Confirming the new additions, United manager Gary Johnson said: 'We are excited by their ability and potential.
'With Louie and Olaf, that makes four lads who have come out of our youth system over the last couple of years.'
Evans, a midfielder, and Price, a full-back who can also play in midfield, were regulars in Torquay's South-West Counties Youth team and travelled to Italy with the England Colleges team for an international tournament last season.
Koszela has already made several first-team appearances, and scored a goal in the National League South at Chippenham Town in April 2019.
Slough's chances were held back by injuries last season but Johnson expects them both to get games in United's National League team in 2020-2021.
- 1 Family 'overwhelmed' by tributes after death of rugby and port legend Bern
- 2 Havant & Waterlooville 4 Torquay United 2
- 3 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award
- 4 Big Cup night for the Gulls
- 5 John 'flabbergasted' as he is shortlisted for top award
- 6 Death of former Gulls winger Tony Scott in Australia
- 7 New loan signing for United
- 8 Torbay Triathlon Club's bumper results amid bumpy weather
- 9 Torbay builders merchant calling out to charities
- 10 Classic cars undergoing bespoke conversions to electric
Meanwhile, Johnson reports that he is shortly due to discuss with his assistant Aaron Downes, youth coach Chris Todd and CEO George Edwards how United can ramp up its youth scheme.
At the moment the operation is closely tied to SDC, where United also use the college's all-weather training centre.
'We want to decide how to get more players into our club and more of them into the first team,' said Johnson.