United keen to support hospital with some festive spirit despite Covid
- Credit: Dave Crawford/PPAUK - Credit: Dave Crawford/PPAUK
TORQUAY United players and staff traditionally pay a seasonal visit to Torbay Hospital at Christmas and, although current Covid restrictions continue to prevent them being there in person, they are not letting that stop their support.
The Gulls may not be able to visit wards, but as their latest 'Community' venture they are donating all profits from an Advent Calendar Raffle to the Torbay Hospital League of Friends' Covid Emergency Appeal.
Supporters are buying tickets at £5 a time to go into a daily draw, which will run up to Christmas Eve, with prizes drawn from a range of items from the club shop or match tickets.
The final prize on December 24 will be a 2021-2022 season first-team shirt signed by all the players.
United are also donating tickets to the Children's Ward, so young patients can go to future games at Plainmoor with their parents.
"We know that staff are working long hours, and patients experiencing some of their loneliest moments away from family and friends. So we want to make sure that none of them are forgotten," said United.
The Appeal target is £200 for each hospital ward, to buy non-medical equipment such as TVs, mobile phones or tablets.
- 1 Property of the Week: Stunning seaside holiday let property
- 2 Great win on the road for United
- 3 Torquay United under-18s triumph over league leaders
- 4 Gulls savour 'huge three points'
- 5 Swiss Raw crew cross finish line to win Atlantic rowing race
- 6 Afghan refugee family move to Torbay after delays
- 7 2021 Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge rowers heading for finish line
- 8 Solar farms are power to council's elbow but don't forget the Gulls - and the archers!
- 9 Tribute to talented artist and craftswoman Mandy, who brought out the best in those she taught
- 10 Saluting top man 'Skivvo' as he announces he's leaving the Glovers
Gulls manager Gary Johnson urged fans to join in, saying: "OK, Yellow Army - let's help Torbay Hospital by buying your raffle tickets. It's going to a good cause. Good Luck!"
Phil White of the Hospital League of Friends, said: "We are delighted to have been chosen by Torquay United to receive profits from the Christmas Raffle.
"We are also looking to continue with other projects currently to purchase much-needed equipment for the Acute Medical Unit being constructed on Level 2."
There is no limit to the amount of tickets that anyone can buy, and winners are announced each day.
Entry can be made via the club's website at www.torquayunited.com