Torquay Tennis Club open but subject to strict guidelines
- Credit: Archant
When lockdown was announced and we closed Torquay Tennis Club our first objective was to establish a very proactive communication channel with our members to keep them continuously informed.
We kept in constant touch with Government and LTA guidelines.
We used the time positively to work on developing a new website and to focus on ensuring our facilities were all tip top for our members' anticipated return.
Before Boris Johnson's announcement we had heard noises that we might have the opportunity to reopen earlier than first anticipated so we were well prepared for what followed.
We hoped that we could be open for singles matches and for one-to-one coaching and began preparations for that.
Our first objective was that our members could play in a safe environment.
We only allowed bookings online and members had to come dressed to play as we could not open our changing facilities.
- 1 Torquay United 2 King's Lynn Town 0
- 2 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 3 Rowing: Excellent conditions for river Dart racing
- 4 Defensive duties at Torquay United
- 5 Let's get together - reconnecting with people is food for the soul
- 6 Dr Peter Moore: I don't need an app giving me a 'medal' for brushing my teeth properly!
- 7 War veteran wins Brixham Lottery - with cards bought for his 105th birthday
- 8 Keith Perry: Family-friendly ramble around park that's home to variety of wildlife
- 9 Securing future of Pavilion takes step forward
- 10 Bid to rid town of Crossways eyesore takes giant leap forward
We issued strict guidelines on social distancing and are still only open for members.
Our regular members have been delighted to be playing again.
Jon Williams, of Williams Hedge, said: 'I was able to open both my office during the day last week and play tennis on an evening, which brought a semblance of normality back. It was great to use the club's facilities again.'
Torquay Tennis Club would love to be fully open but we fully respect the guidelines and cannot invite doubles pairing or non members yet.
A lot of senior members prefer doubles and we hope that eventually the impact of the virus will reduce and we can see them using our facilities again.
We also aspire to bring coaching sessions to groups at a future stage.
We had a very active summer of competitions and social activity planned but the health and safety of our members and the community is paramount.
We do look forward to a future day when our members and guests can read a copy of the Torbay Weekly in our clubhouse.