Rugby: Unbeaten Torquay top of table after victory over North Tawton
- Credit: Submitted
In-form Torquay Athletic continued their strong start to the Tribute SW rugby season with an entertaining 35-21 win over North Tawton at the Recreation Ground.
The unbeaten Tics are top of the Cornwall and Devon Division after four games, only by a point from Topsham, but they underlined their promotion credentials by pulling away from 25-21 against North Tawton with 10 minutes to go.
Topsham and Torquay meet at the Bonfire Field in six weeks' time, but this Saturday's trip to Penzance Pirates Amateurs will test the Tics - the Cornish side pushed Topsham close (22-15) last weekend.
Brixham are sixth in SW Premier after holding off Camborne to clinch a bonus-point 35-28 victory at Astley Park.
The Fishermen travel to Gloucestershire to take on Drybrook this Saturday, but the game of the day in that division is the meeting of free-scoring leaders Exeter University and also-unbeaten Bournemouth at Topsham.
Teignmouth extended their flying start to the Western Counties West campaign - they led Paignton 24-3 at half-time and eventually dominated the Cherries 48-10 at Bitton Park.
Teignmouth and Wadebridge Camels both have 20 points from four games.
- 1 £1million grants to give Bay new housing boost
- 2 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 3 Underdog mindset for the Gulls
- 4 Ticket price offer for Torquay United's FA Cup tie
- 5 This sorry saga was always going to end in tears - but we need the horses and what about the Proms?
- 6 Turning our season around
- 7 MP Anthony Mangnall: I've a new-found appreciation for hard work of our fishermen
- 8 Aldi, KFC and Costa Coffee plan approved for 'Gateway to Torquay'
- 9 Bridleway takes you to Agatha Christie's 'loveliest place in the world'
- 10 Stoppage-time goal books Torquay United under-18s a place in FA Youth Cup first round
Newton Abbot returned to form with a 33-12 win at Tiverton.
The All Whites have no league game this weekend, but then travel to Wadebridge on October 9.
In Devon One Kingsteignton's New Cross (2nd) had to settle for a 17-17 draw at Tamar Saracens, but there was a thumping 64-15 win for Totnes over Plymouth Argaum.
Life doesn't get any easier for Buckfastleigh Ramblers - they lost 6-62 at home to Exeter Saracens - and Dartmouth had to concede a walk-over win to Exeter Athletic, which eased them above New Cross at the top of the table.
This Saturday's fixtures for our local clubs: SW Premier - Drybrook v Brixham; Western Counties West - Paignton v Tiverton, Penryn v Teignmouth; Cornwall/Devon - Pirates Amateurs v Torquay Athletic; Devon One - Exeter Athletic v Totnes, New Cross v Torrington, Exeter Saracens v Dartmouth.