Torquay clinch place in ‘tier two’ semi-final
- Credit: Phil Mingo/PPAUK
Torquay's 40-run win over local rivals Barton clinched top spot in the Devon Cricket League South Division One and earned them a 'tier two' semi-final at home to Tiverton Heathcoat 2nd XI this Saturday.
Noah Rider and James Tyler both scored 29 in Torquay's 140 at Cricketfield Road, before their young bowlers, paceman Sonny Baker (4-9) and spinner Harry Passenger (3-14), dismissed Barton for 100 in 35.2 overs.
It meant that Abbotskerswell's nine-wicket win over Bovey Tracey 2nds - seven Bovey batsmen had 'ducks' in their 39 all out! - was not quite enough to overhaul Torquay.
Bideford meet Ivybridge in the other 'semi'.
Bovey 1sts had a rare off-day in Premier Central - they were bowled out for 115 at Bradninch, losing the match by five wicket and with it top spot.
There was a nail-biting finish in South Two, where Ipplepen's 10-run win over Dartington/Totnes saw both clubs finish level on points-average.
But the head-to-head result of that match - Darts slumped from 122-4 to 154 all out - carried Ipplepen through.
- 1 Torquay United 2 King's Lynn Town 0
- 2 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 3 Rowing: Excellent conditions for river Dart racing
- 4 Defensive duties at Torquay United
- 5 Let's get together - reconnecting with people is food for the soul
- 6 Dr Peter Moore: I don't need an app giving me a 'medal' for brushing my teeth properly!
- 7 War veteran wins Brixham Lottery - with cards bought for his 105th birthday
- 8 Keith Perry: Family-friendly ramble around park that's home to variety of wildlife
- 9 Bid to rid town of Crossways eyesore takes giant leap forward
- 10 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award
A similar climax in South Three saw Seb Ansley's 90-ball 114 (6x6s) lead Stoke Gabriel to 189 and a 19-run win over fellow contenders Paignton 2nds which clinched that division.
South Devon had South Four tied up before losing a low-scoring affair to Babbacombe at Walls Hill.
More local scores: South Two - Chudleigh 228-6 (Will Heather 93) bt Brixham 91 by 137runs, Ipplepen 164-9 (Sam Wakeham 40) bt Dartington/Totnes 154 (Jon Colegate 48; Ashley Harvey 4-11) by 10runs.
South Three - Stoke Gabriel 189 (Seb Ansley 114) bt Paignton II 170 (Cole McFarland 52, Ollie Woodcock 38) by 19runs.
South Four - Babbacombe 111 bt South Devon 83 by 28runs, Ipplepen II 179-5 (Adam Peters 62) bt Chelston/Kingskerswell 164-9 (Chris Harrison 36, Nick Guest 36; Dom Durman 4-22) by 15runs.