Torbay Tri continues winning streak
- Credit: Torbay Tri
The annual Sportiva Torbay Spring Triathlon scheduled for Sunday, April, 25 had to be scaled back this year due to the ongoing Government coronavirus regulations that prevented Torbay Leisure Centre pool from being used.
Despite the lack of swim, the event continued but was converted into a duathlon taking advantage of the excellent facilities at the Velopark and adjacent playing fields.
Two distances were available on the traffic-free routes, providing an excellent opportunity for good times although a strong easterly wind that had been battering Torbay for a couple of days hadn’t relented.
The sprint race was conducted over a 2.5 km run - 15km cycle - 5km run and a shorter GoTri event of 2.5km run - 7.5km cycle - 1.95km run.
The testing conditions of the day with the strong winds on the straights of the Velopark didn’t prevent the Torbay Tri Club team from having strong performances.
Donald Brooks took the overall win with a time of 47:30 with Wendy Urban coming home as first female vet 50.
There was also podiums for Mark Colombini third male vet 40, Linda Dabbs second female vet 50, Jo Coish third female vet 40 and Richard Rollings third male vet 60.
- 1 Main frame of new Torquay hotel will rise out of the ground this month
- 2 Tributes to our Mike - a true Torquinian and family man
- 3 Torquay company gets Twitter boost from Theo Paphitis
- 4 Gulls inconsolable after defeat
- 5 'Passionate and privileged' - that's Hospice at Home team member Donna
- 6 Hartlepool United 1 Torquay United 1 (Hartlepool win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)
- 7 Typical mistakes you should avoid when selling your home
- 8 Local rescues are your first port of call for kittens
- 9 The Brit Awards and gender: A shift in attitude or just for show?
- 10 Trio get their running shoes on for Bay half marathon fund-raiser
1st (Overall Win) Donald Brooks 47:30, 12th Dave Brown 53:43 (PB), 14th Steve Donnelly 53:56, 20th (3rd MV40) Mark Colombini 55:27, 26th Ben Flower 57:24, 30th Ian Dabbs 58:19, 31st Paul Chamings 58:27, 50th (1st FV50) Wendy Urban 1:01:37, 53rd Frank Reay, 57th (2nd FV50) Linda Dabbs 1:02:40, 69th Jamie Kingston 1:04:58, 103rd (3rd FV40)Jo Coish 1:23:14, 104th (3rd MV60) Richard Rollings 1:25:31.
The Go Tri event also had strong performances from fourth (third female) Sarah Lakey 39:35, ninth Naoko McKinnonn 45:48.