Torbay Tri continues winning streak
- Credit: Torbay Tri
The annual Sportiva Torbay Spring Triathlon scheduled for Sunday, April, 25 had to be scaled back this year due to the ongoing Government coronavirus regulations that prevented Torbay Leisure Centre pool from being used.
Despite the lack of swim, the event continued but was converted into a duathlon taking advantage of the excellent facilities at the Velopark and adjacent playing fields.
Two distances were available on the traffic-free routes, providing an excellent opportunity for good times although a strong easterly wind that had been battering Torbay for a couple of days hadn’t relented.
The sprint race was conducted over a 2.5 km run - 15km cycle - 5km run and a shorter GoTri event of 2.5km run - 7.5km cycle - 1.95km run.
The testing conditions of the day with the strong winds on the straights of the Velopark didn’t prevent the Torbay Tri Club team from having strong performances.
Donald Brooks took the overall win with a time of 47:30 with Wendy Urban coming home as first female vet 50.
There was also podiums for Mark Colombini third male vet 40, Linda Dabbs second female vet 50, Jo Coish third female vet 40 and Richard Rollings third male vet 60.
- 1 Wrong red for Wrexham
- 2 FA Cup defeat creates two-week break for Gulls
- 3 Midweek shocks in the National League
- 4 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 5 Casting announced for The Osmonds: A New Musical at Princess Theatre
- 6 Property of the Week: Simply striking family home in semi-rural setting
- 7 Show is world’s largest gathering of more than 3,000 iconic classic and vintage cars and motorbikes
- 8 Kelly’s 100 miles for Breast Cancer awareness
- 9 Torquay United gaffer and players give Community Day a 'big thumbs up'
- 10 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
1st (Overall Win) Donald Brooks 47:30, 12th Dave Brown 53:43 (PB), 14th Steve Donnelly 53:56, 20th (3rd MV40) Mark Colombini 55:27, 26th Ben Flower 57:24, 30th Ian Dabbs 58:19, 31st Paul Chamings 58:27, 50th (1st FV50) Wendy Urban 1:01:37, 53rd Frank Reay, 57th (2nd FV50) Linda Dabbs 1:02:40, 69th Jamie Kingston 1:04:58, 103rd (3rd FV40)Jo Coish 1:23:14, 104th (3rd MV60) Richard Rollings 1:25:31.
The Go Tri event also had strong performances from fourth (third female) Sarah Lakey 39:35, ninth Naoko McKinnonn 45:48.