Tigers look to cement Division One place as early Christmas present
- Credit: Karl Rowland
As we head towards the Christmas break with only one full week of basketball left, Torbay Tigers looked to 'cement' their place in Division I, and progress from the group stage of the Cup Competition sponsored by PRISM Painting and Decorating Ltd.
With a 'freak' of the fixture scheduling that meant Tigers played Exeter University II twice this week, once at home in the league and the second away just two days later in the Cup.
So first the league, and an athletic university side ended the 1st quarter leading Tigers 17 - 14. In the 2nd quarter Tigers once again looked towards youth from the bench, and Finn Evans didn't let them down, and in the first four minutes outscored University on his own 8 – 3. Tigers carried on the momentum for a half time lead of 35 – 27.
The third quarter went basket for basket and Tigers took a 51 - 44 into the final quarter, and in true Tigers fashion, came away victorious 69 – 59.
Roll on two days, and Exeter University II again, this time in the Cup at Stoker Park. The University closed the 1st quarter with a 19 - 10 lead and extended that to 34 – 24 at half-time.
The 3rd quarter came and went and Tigers still had no answer, again University extending slightly to 51 - 40. Fourth quarter beckoned, and it was no or never, but this time Tigers did not have the answer and the game was lost 69 - 56.
In a home Division III game against Tiverton Titans, Torquay Trailblazers left themselves a mountain to climb with a 20 - 9 deficit early in the match. In the 2nd quarter, they managed a 14 - 2 run in scoring and were only trailing 28 – 26 at half-time.
- 1 Gulls walking Covid tightrope ahead of Solihull visit
- 2 Frying high after 40 years - and raising thousands for charity
- 3 Gulls downed by two late goals
- 4 Torbay remains 'Covid capital of Devon' despite drop in cases
- 5 Mark takes over at helm as Teignbridge Propellers invest in future
- 6 Swiss Raw crew cross finish line to win Atlantic rowing race
- 7 Green Spaces: A place to grow for Torbay trees
- 8 Patricia's delighted to bring Noel Coward's Private Lives to Princess Theatre
- 9 Angling junior Keri showing the seniors how it is done
- 10 Remembering our loved ones this Christmas
The 3rd quarter saw Tiverton sent to the free throw line numerous times, and with it managing to edge the lead up again finishing the quarter leading Trailblazers 48 - 40. Unfortunately for Trailblazers, there was no repeat of the 2nd quarter and Tiverton edged out the game finishing 66 - 52.