Torbay cyclist Harrison Wood back with French semi-pro team
- Credit: Submitted
Torbay bike racer Harrison Wood's move back to leading French semi-pro team VC Aix-en-Provence has been confirmed after two years with the Dutch SEG Racing Academy.
VC Aix have welcomed Wood's return to their ranks - he spent a year with them in 2019 - and the 21-year-old climber, boosted by a new sponsorship deal with Torquay's Bay Cycles, is relishing the chance to fill a 'leadership' role there next season.
"I learned a lot at SEG, on and off the bike, and it's disappointing that they have closed, but moving on might be a blessing in disguise for me," said Wood.
"I'm going to be the 'leader in most races at Aix, and they do most of the events, under-23 and older, that SEG did.
"I know all the staff and several of the riders there, and I'm really motivated to do the most I can to have a really successful year."
Former Mid-Devon CC starlet Wood posted some strong results at SEG, including sixth in the King Of The Mountains competition at the Tour Alsace, a top-20 (19th) at the 'Baby Giro' (U23 Giro d'Italia) and sixth youth rider at the Tour of Rhodes.
But he also suffered from injuries, illnesses and Covid-19 frustrations, and his dream of earning a World Tour team contract has yet to be realised.
- 1 Property of the Week: Stunning seaside holiday let property
- 2 Great win on the road for United
- 3 Saluting top man 'Skivvo' as he announces he's leaving the Glovers
- 4 Torquay United under-18s triumph over league leaders
- 5 Swiss Raw crew cross finish line to win Atlantic rowing race
- 6 Afghan refugee family move to Torbay after delays
- 7 Tribute to talented artist and craftswoman Mandy, who brought out the best in those she taught
- 8 Solar farms are power to council's elbow but don't forget the Gulls - and the archers!
- 9 Fully fit Gulls travel to Altrincham
- 10 2021 Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge rowers heading for finish line
Meanwhile, Mid-Devon CC had plenty to celebrate at the SW Regional Cyclo-Cross Championships at Plymouth's Newnham Park at the weekend.
There were age-group titles for Robin Delve, ahead of his tilt at the World Masters Championships at Ipswich this weekend, Will Birchall, Grace Ward, Matt Holmes, Lauren Fox, Ben Ward, Freddie Simcock and Charlotte Ward.
Club results: Vets Male )60 - Robin Delve 1st, O50 Ladies - Cathy Kilburn 2nd, Men - Martin Smith 4th; Juniors - James Pearcy 2nd (10th overall); Under-16 Girls - Grace Ward 1st, Boys - Henry Birchall 5th; Under-14 Boys - Will Birchall 1st, Bayley Woodger 2nd, Jacob Start 3rd, Girls - Eva Fox 3rd; Under-12 Boys - Matt Holmes 1st, Girls - Lauren Fox 1st, Ellie Birchall 2nd; Under-10 Boys - Ben Ward 1st; Under-8 Boys - Freddie Simcock 1st, Will Ward 5th, Girls - Charlotte Ward 1st