Anglers have been out and about everywhere
- Credit: Archant
The beaches are still producing all the expected the summer species with good smoothhounds showing. Dan Smith fished a daylight session on a local beach and landed several to about 4lbs.
Shay Upham from Brixham has been travelling again, this time east towards Portland in search of his first-ever, shore-caught black bream and landing a fine fish of 1lb 10oz.
Tom Stebbens has continued his quest to catch a mullet and has finally been rewarded with a fish of 2lbs 12oz. Saleem Ali sought out gilthead bream and was rewarded with a fine catch of this hard fighting species.
The charter boats have been out and about this week visiting the wrecks off the South Devon coast.
Matthew Forrester took a family charter out on his boat Silver Halo finding bass and pollack for the Endacotts from Cheriton Bishop. All found fish with 10-year-old George landing a bass of 7lbs and 11-year-old Henry one of 5lbs 10oz. Not to be outdone, dad Hugo landed a pollack of 8lbs 10oz. All fish were caught on sidewinder rubber eels or live mackerel.
Kennick fly fishers visited Wimbleball Reservoir on Exmoor for the latest round of the Snowbee top rod competition series 2020 with the top weight going to Andy Gooding of Liverton with five fish for 12lbs 8oz, Darren Penfold finished second with Alan Riddell third.
Top junior was Alex Venn with three fish for a weight of 7lbs. The competition was fished in overcast conditions with a few showers, a total of 25 fish were caught.
- 1 Exeter Chiefs replace Native-American brand with nod to Devon's history
- 2 Can you help free the Rowcroft Six - or shall we let them stay where they are?
- 3 Johnson promised cash to 'build bigger, stronger squad'
- 4 New singers welcome as Torbay Gilbert and Sullivan Society start The Mikado rehearsals
- 5 Hero awards finalist Chris has that spark which makes him extra special!
- 6 From trawler to plate in a day - chef Mitch Tonks bringing Brixham fish straight to customers' doors
- 7 Frying high after 40 years - and raising thousands for charity
- 8 Lift off for Air Show but what about Red Arrows?
- 9 Teams work round clock to dismantle old railway bridge
- 10 Inside Oldway Mansion and a journey through its history
Spring Ponds held a match on bank holiday Monday with Jason Fay taking the honours with a magnificent weight of 86lbs 6oz, including a fine chubb. Second spot went to Graham Fay with a weight of 51lbs 10oz and Alan Crouch taking third. Matches are now going to be on the first Saturday of the month. I am planning a trip there this week and will give my report in next week's issue.
Newbarn Farm continues to fish well with both boilies and surface-fished baits producing the fish including a fine 21lb 8oz mirror carp for John Seymour.
Euro Anglings Ian Ross and his partner's son Brody, fished M and B Fishery near Totnes, catching 14 fish in a 30-hour session with Brody landing a new fishery record with a grass carp of 25lb.
Tight lines and stay safe.