Anglers have been out and about everywhere
- Credit: Archant
The beaches are still producing all the expected the summer species with good smoothhounds showing. Dan Smith fished a daylight session on a local beach and landed several to about 4lbs.
Shay Upham from Brixham has been travelling again, this time east towards Portland in search of his first-ever, shore-caught black bream and landing a fine fish of 1lb 10oz.
Tom Stebbens has continued his quest to catch a mullet and has finally been rewarded with a fish of 2lbs 12oz. Saleem Ali sought out gilthead bream and was rewarded with a fine catch of this hard fighting species.
The charter boats have been out and about this week visiting the wrecks off the South Devon coast.
Matthew Forrester took a family charter out on his boat Silver Halo finding bass and pollack for the Endacotts from Cheriton Bishop. All found fish with 10-year-old George landing a bass of 7lbs and 11-year-old Henry one of 5lbs 10oz. Not to be outdone, dad Hugo landed a pollack of 8lbs 10oz. All fish were caught on sidewinder rubber eels or live mackerel.
Kennick fly fishers visited Wimbleball Reservoir on Exmoor for the latest round of the Snowbee top rod competition series 2020 with the top weight going to Andy Gooding of Liverton with five fish for 12lbs 8oz, Darren Penfold finished second with Alan Riddell third.
Top junior was Alex Venn with three fish for a weight of 7lbs. The competition was fished in overcast conditions with a few showers, a total of 25 fish were caught.
- 1 Relentless from Torquay United
- 2 Rowers - and Mr Portillo - in bid to go round world in 80 days and raise money for Rowcroft
- 3 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 4 Woking 0 Torquay United 2
- 5 Concluding the debate about diesel v petrol v electric cars
- 6 Royal Mail set to drop objection to Crossways redevelopment
- 7 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
- 8 Picture special: Memories of visits to Torbay and South Devon
- 9 Absolutely ridiculous and selfish
- 10 Herbert Whitley fulfilled earlier vision of a zoo when opening Paignton Zoological and Botanical Gardens
Spring Ponds held a match on bank holiday Monday with Jason Fay taking the honours with a magnificent weight of 86lbs 6oz, including a fine chubb. Second spot went to Graham Fay with a weight of 51lbs 10oz and Alan Crouch taking third. Matches are now going to be on the first Saturday of the month. I am planning a trip there this week and will give my report in next week's issue.
Newbarn Farm continues to fish well with both boilies and surface-fished baits producing the fish including a fine 21lb 8oz mirror carp for John Seymour.
Euro Anglings Ian Ross and his partner's son Brody, fished M and B Fishery near Totnes, catching 14 fish in a 30-hour session with Brody landing a new fishery record with a grass carp of 25lb.
Tight lines and stay safe.