Struggling Torbay sports clubs urged to seek aid
- Credit: Archant
Sports clubs in Torbay have been told: 'There's help out there for you.'
The message comes from Torbay Council as some clubs are struggling for survival after weeks of pandemic Shutdown.
Some lockdown measures are being eased but there are still a number of activities which are not allowed including exercising in an indoor sports court, gym or leisure centre, swimming in a public pool, using an outdoor gym or gathering outdoors in a group of more than six (excluding members of your own household).
Clubs, who have also been left with no income coming in, are being encouraged to apply for grant funding.
Mike Morey, the Cabinet councillor in charge of sport, said: 'Prior to coronavirus, sport and physical activity in Torbay was thriving, and even during the pandemic we have seen more and more people taking up physical activity and we want to see this continue.'
The Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant Fund supports businesses in the retail, hospitality and leisure sectors with their business costs during coronavirus. Businesses within the sector are entitled to a one-off cash grant of up to £25,000. Applications for a business grant can be made on the Torbay Council website.
There are also a variety of other grants available to community groups including a Voluntary and Community Sector COVID-10 Grants Scheme which is open for applications until June 14.
- 1 Charlton await United - if Gulls can win FA Cup replay
- 2 Johnson on FA Cup result: 'Havant deserved something out of game'
- 3 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 4 Picture special: Torbay buses
- 5 'Mixed' bag for Torbay teams as basketball season opens
- 6 Retro Sport with Roger Mann: An ambition which money just can't buy!
- 7 Torquay settle for replay after Hawks threw everything at them in dying moments
- 8 A harvest of hope at Pollinator Patch
- 9 Family 'overwhelmed' by tributes after death of rugby and port legend Bern
- 10 This sorry saga was always going to end in tears - but we need the horses and what about the Proms?
Full details on all grants available can be found on the grants and funding support webpage on the council website.
Clubs are also encouraged to visit the Sport England website for advice specific to the sport and physical activity sector, and what it means for your facility moving forward.
How the clubs are coping during the crisis was one topic for conversation at a virtual meeting of Sport Torbay on Thursday night.
So, too, was advice on obtaining grants to help clubs survive as well as an update on 'Resetting Sport' - a new initiative which is aimed at giving sport and health and wellbeing new and added impetus by bringing clubs, organisations and key partners together
Useful website links are:
Applications for a business grant - https://www.torbay.gov.uk/business/business-rates/business-rate-reductions/coronavirus-grants/
Voluntary and Community Sector COVID-10 Grants Scheme -https://www.torbay.gov.uk/health-and-wellbeing/public-health/coronavirus/voluntary-sector-grants-scheme/
Grants and funding support - https://www.torbay.gov.uk/health-and-wellbeing/public-health/coronavirus/coronavirus-grants/
Sport England website - https://www.sportengland.org/how-we-can-help/coronavirus