Striker Scott not playing in play-off final - for a very good reason
- Credit: Dave Crawford/PPAUK
The return of centre-forward Danny Wright has been Torquay United's best-kept secret, but another can now be revealed - why striker Scott Boden is not involved in the National League play-offs.
The 31-year-old forward has scored six goals on loan from NL rivals Chesterfield, but manager Gary Johnson has left him out of late - for a very good reason.
Boden is getting married on Saturday - 24 hours before Torquay meet Hartlepool United in the play-off final at Ashton Gate!
"Scott was due to be married last summer but the Covid lockdown stopped that. So they put it back to this year, not knowing that he'd be with us or that this season would go on so long." explained Johnson.
"We signed Scott to cover while Danny was injured, and he's not only scored six times, but he's been a very passionate and experienced player for us.
"I've obviously known about the wedding, and I had to take a bit of a gamble not playing Scott in the last couple of games, but thank goodness it's coincided with Danny's return now.
"So all's well that end's well.
- 1 Family 'overwhelmed' by tributes after death of rugby and port legend Bern
- 2 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award
- 3 Big Cup night for the Gulls
- 4 John 'flabbergasted' as he is shortlisted for top award
- 5 New loan signing for United
- 6 Death of former Gulls winger Tony Scott in Australia
- 7 Torbay Business Forum pair nominated for national awards
- 8 Torbay Triathlon Club's bumper results amid bumpy weather
- 9 Torbay builders merchant calling out to charities
- 10 Classic cars undergoing bespoke conversions to electric
"We've given Scott a couple of days off this week, but he's still part of our squad, we hope they have a great day and we know he'll be cheering us on in the final."