Striker Scott not playing in play-off final - for a very good reason
- Credit: Dave Crawford/PPAUK
The return of centre-forward Danny Wright has been Torquay United's best-kept secret, but another can now be revealed - why striker Scott Boden is not involved in the National League play-offs.
The 31-year-old forward has scored six goals on loan from NL rivals Chesterfield, but manager Gary Johnson has left him out of late - for a very good reason.
Boden is getting married on Saturday - 24 hours before Torquay meet Hartlepool United in the play-off final at Ashton Gate!
"Scott was due to be married last summer but the Covid lockdown stopped that. So they put it back to this year, not knowing that he'd be with us or that this season would go on so long." explained Johnson.
"We signed Scott to cover while Danny was injured, and he's not only scored six times, but he's been a very passionate and experienced player for us.
"I've obviously known about the wedding, and I had to take a bit of a gamble not playing Scott in the last couple of games, but thank goodness it's coincided with Danny's return now.
"So all's well that end's well.
- 1 It's taken a generation but it is definitely now Paignton's turn
- 2 Jim Parker: Now is the Time for action after Chief Constable's revealing walkabout
- 3 Pre-season fundraiser in memory of footballers Kyle and Hayden
- 4 Retro Sport: Tracking Plainmoor heroes of the 1950s
- 5 Argyle sharpness defeats United
- 6 Laura will use Equity role to change attitudes about regional theatre
- 7 Regency-style terrace was leased to the rich and famous
- 8 Busy time in the transfer market
- 9 Farewell to Wellswood
- 10 No packed lunches but six weeks of bad weather!
"We've given Scott a couple of days off this week, but he's still part of our squad, we hope they have a great day and we know he'll be cheering us on in the final."