Spotlight on Torquay Amateur Boxing Club rising star Ben Andrews
- Credit: Archant
Ben Andrews, the light-heavyweight Western Counties belt holder, cannnot wait to get back into the gym, when this currrent lockdown is over.
Torbay Amateur Boxing Club's rising star, 20-year-old Ben first walked through the doors of the Torbay ABC gym nearly three years ago.
Before then Ben had found himself going down the wrong path in life, mixing with the wrong people. He turned to boxing in the hope of getting healthier physically and mentally and to turn his life around.
Ben is so keen to do well, that we sometimes have to tell him to leave the gym and go home.
Almost three years later, it is obvious to anyone who knows Ben, or who has followed his career in amateur boxing, he has made the right decision.
As well as being happier and healthier, Ben is the Torbay squad club captain and a role model to the younger boxers.
He has become a Torbay ABC belt holder after winning his first three bouts, all by stoppages. He is also a Riviera Box Cup champion and gold medal winner, and is the current Western Counties light-heavyweight belt holder.
- 1 Probus Club 'home' at last to hear about ghosts, gallows and 'Big Foot'
- 2 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 3 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 4 Athletics: Busy and successful weeks on racing calendar
- 5 Feline Network Cat Rescue: Can you offer a home to a golden oldie?
- 6 Junior anglers take the fishing limelight
- 7 Securing future of Pavilion takes step forward
- 8 Gig racing: Brixham hosts Cornish Pilot Gig Association's veterans' championships
- 9 Fostering - why not consider a vocation that makes a real difference?
- 10 John 'flabbergasted' as he is shortlisted for top award
The next step in boxing for Ben is to hopefully secure sponsorship from a local business so he can take his training to the next level.
Ben has already defended his title successfully, and if he defends it twice more, he can win the belt outright.
Ben will be boxing again to hopefully become two-times Riviera Box Cup champion in November's Riviera Box Cup. The cup event will be held at the local Acorn Youth Centre at Barton Downs, Torquay, which is actively working with the community.
• If anyone would like to sponsor up-and-coming, talented local boxer Ben Andrews, please contact head coach Darrell Asplen on 07860 149 536.
BEN ANDREWS FACT FILE
Name: Ben Andrews
Current light-heavyweight West Counties belt holder
Age when started boxing: 18
How many days a week do you train? Six days
Favourite boxer: Overall Mike Tyson but current boxer Tyson Fury
Greatest achievement in boxing: Winning the light-heavyweight belt and representing Devon
Future goals: To represent England