Spanish adventure for local angler brings a big fight
- Credit: John Sherlock
Kingskerswell angler Kev Madeley had the fishing trip of a lifetime whilst on a family holiday in Tenerife.
Having been given a day’s charter fishing as a birthday present by his mother-in law, he spent the day targeting some different fish. Firstly, he caught many Red Bream and the odd-looking Puffer fish, then the skipper took him to a mark in 700 feet of water, where the target species was Skipjack Tuna.
The fish that Kev caught gave him the hardest fight imaginable on light tackle and made several deep dives from the side of the boat. Kev say’s that he can’t wait to go again.
Back here in Devon, the Winter Flounder fishing continues to be better than it has been in the last couple of years, with both Dan Hale and Phil Mingo getting amongst the fish from the estuaries.
The Whiting fishing continues to be good all along our coast, although I must be the unluckiest Whiting angler around. I chose a day to go to Slapton when the wind moved to the East and the seas got very choppy, not ideal Whiting conditions. I caught only two small ones but had a couple of surprise Mackerel take my squid bait whilst retrieving my gear.
2021 is now drawing to a close and I would like to thank all who have sent pictures and details of their catches this year. It has not always been easy to get out with Coronavirus restrictions but the hardy angler always seems to find a way.
Charter boat skippers and Tackle shops have helped with their contributions and I welcome pictures and reports from even more. I am keen to have more reports from local Angling clubs, so please do not hesitate in contacting me.
A big thank you also to the sponsors of the Fish of The Month competition, Sidewinder Lures and Newbarn Angling Centre, who will continue through next year. Please send anything to me by email at email@example.com or I can be found on Facebook.
- 1 Property of the Week: Stunning seaside holiday let property
- 2 Great win on the road for United
- 3 Saluting top man 'Skivvo' as he announces he's leaving the Glovers
- 4 Torquay United under-18s triumph over league leaders
- 5 Swiss Raw crew cross finish line to win Atlantic rowing race
- 6 Afghan refugee family move to Torbay after delays
- 7 Tribute to talented artist and craftswoman Mandy, who brought out the best in those she taught
- 8 Solar farms are power to council's elbow but don't forget the Gulls - and the archers!
- 9 Fully fit Gulls travel to Altrincham
- 10 2021 Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge rowers heading for finish line
Finally, I would like to wish you all a very happy Christmas and a fishy New Year.