Sherring wins the Twitchin Award
- Credit: Dave Crawford/PPAUK
On-loan defender Sam Sherring has won the Ian Twitchin Trophy, awarded to the Torquay United player who makes most appearances in a season - and it came down to minutes.
Sherring, 21, joined the Gulls on the eve of last season from AFC Bournemouth and ended up making the same amount of appearances (48) as midfielders Connor Lemonheigh-Evans and Adam Randell, himself on loan from Plymouth Argyle.
Officials from Torquay United Supporters' Trust (TUST) held a 'countback' before announcing that Sherring had just come out on top.
United manager Gary Johnson has hinted that a new loan deal for Sherring, who has just signed a new contract at Bournemouth, remains a possibility for next season, although new Cherries boss Scott Parker may have other options in mind for the young centre-back.
Sherring will follow two more defenders, Liam Davis and Kyle Cameron, in winning the ITT, donated by Twitchin's family in memory of the Teignmouth-born player who made 435 appearances from 1970-71.
Meanwhile, released duo Josh Umerah and Matt Buse have become the latest United players to find fresh employment.
Striker Umerah and midfielder Buse have both signed for National League rivals Wealdstone.
- 1 Probus Club 'home' at last to hear about ghosts, gallows and 'Big Foot'
- 2 Athletics: Busy and successful weeks on racing calendar
- 3 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 4 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 5 Junior anglers take the fishing limelight
- 6 Gig racing: Brixham hosts Cornish Pilot Gig Association's veterans' championships
- 7 Securing future of Pavilion takes step forward
- 8 Feline Network Cat Rescue: Can you offer a home to a golden oldie?
- 9 Fostering - why not consider a vocation that makes a real difference?
- 10 John 'flabbergasted' as he is shortlisted for top award