Victories for Brixham, Torquay and Newton Abbot as rugby season opens
- Credit: Brixham Rugby Club
No sport has suffered more from the Covid-19 pandemic than rugby union, but it's back at last and Brixham, Torquay Athletic and Newton Abbot all opened the long-awaited 2021-2022 season with confidence-boosting victories.
Tribute South West Premier side Brixham beat Royal Wootton Bassett 32-17 at Astley Park, and that could be a timely win ahead of a trip to Bournemouth this Saturday.
The Dorset side opened with a 35-11 win over Weston-super-Mare and fancy themselves as promotion contenders next Spring.
The Western Counties West derby between Newton Abbot and Paignton went the way of the All Whites at Rackerhayes.
Newton won 27-11 with tries by Charley Dore, Ed Brown, Corey Whane and Josh Davey. The boot of Jake Monnington added a further seven points.
That sets Newton up for a trip down to Penryn this weekend, while Paignton go north to Wiveliscombe, who opened with a 15-14 win at Bideford.
Teignmouth are in good heart after a 43-11 win at Honiton - they now entertain Kingsbridge, whose first game against Penryn was called off, this Saturday.
- 1 Nightmare on Torwood Street continues...
- 2 Are you running on E10 and is it feeling any different?
- 3 Busy weekend for South Devon AC runners
- 4 Spirited draw for the Gulls
- 5 The Spanish are beaten on their field of stones
- 6 Seafront switch on for a brighter and lighter future
- 7 Torbay AAC trio tackle Saints' Way Challenge
- 8 Paignton Bowling Club win Mid Devon League Cup
- 9 Austins battle through Spanish flu, World War Two and now pandemic but boss David says: 'Now is our Time'
- 10 Chesterfield 2 Torquay United 2
Torquay have high hopes of a strong season in the Tribute Cornwall & Devon division, underlined by an emphatic 36-7 victory away to Hayle.
But a bigger test may come on Saturday, when Tics welcome Liskeard & Looe to the Rec' - the Cornish side gave notice of their intent when they thumped Topsham 41-0.
In Devon One, Totnes came out on top in another local derby - they beat Ramblers 24-12 at Buckfastleigh.