Royal Torbay Yacht Club celebrates 150 years of sailing
- Credit: Archant
The Royal Torbay Yacht Club has been at the heart of sailing in Torbay for more than 150 years and continues to meet the demands of the modern-day sailor.
New members, visiting sailors and their families are assured of a very warm welcome.
Torbay is a truly magnificent sailing venue boasting some of the finest sailing waters in the world and the club is proud to have played a key role in the development of Torbay's maritime history.
The club is one of the South West's leading yacht clubs with a thriving and growing membership.
The club has a strong racing focus, it supports active junior and youth membership, and as an RYA Training Centre, it encourages training and coaching at all levels with both on water and shore based. Through its ladies' sailing group, cruising group and motorboat sections, the club has an increasingly wide appeal whatever your boating interest.
Past commodore and current sailing secretary Bob Penfold said: 'In March 2019, the club proudly announced they had won the 2019 RYA and Yachts and Yachting Club of the Year Award.
'They had been one of 11 finalists selected by the RYA Awards panel and ultimately crowned by the public vote. The coveted trophy was presented by British Sailing Team the RYA Dinghy Show in London. Additionally, the club were also recognised for its 'fantastic facilities' acknowledged for their achievement in embracing modern facility development.'
- 1 Charlton await United - if Gulls can win FA Cup replay
- 2 Johnson on FA Cup result: 'Havant deserved something out of game'
- 3 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 4 'Mixed' bag for Torbay teams as basketball season opens
- 5 Retro Sport with Roger Mann: An ambition which money just can't buy!
- 6 Picture special: Torbay buses
- 7 Torquay settle for replay after Hawks threw everything at them in dying moments
- 8 A harvest of hope at Pollinator Patch
- 9 This sorry saga was always going to end in tears - but we need the horses and what about the Proms?
- 10 Stoppage-time goal books Torquay United under-18s a place in FA Youth Cup first round
The Torbay Royal Regatta at the end of August welcomes sailors from around the country. The regatta has been a highlight of the summer season in Torquay for more than 200 years and was the first yachting regatta in the country to be granted royal patronage.
The Royal Torbay Yacht Club has a long and distinguished history of hosting major International sailing events - hosting America's Cup trials in the 1930s, sailing events of the 1948 Olympics, the UK stopover for La Solitaire de Figaro in 2015 and numerous world, European and national championships.
The club welcomes new membership enquiries and further information can be found on the club website.