Return for Torbay Snooker League
- Credit: Archant
After a seven-month break, the Torbay Snooker League is due to restart at the end of the month with a new season and new sponsors in place.
It was with great sadness that long-term sponsors, The Match Room, announced they would not be reopening due to the coronavirus pandemic.
However, the committee have worked hard in securing a new partnership with AW Waste Removal Services, who will become the league’s new sponsors.
Sixteen teams have entered the league, which has been split into two groups of eight, playing each other on a home and away basis with all matches being the best of five frames. All players will be competing off handicaps, which were finalised by the committee on Sunday.
The handicap system will set the players more of a challenge but hopefully also ensure the reintroduction to competitive snooker is a little bit more fun for everyone.
After completing the group matches, teams will split with those placed from first to fourth in both groups going into a champions knockout, while the teams placed fifth to eighth will also play a Europa knockout competition.
The quarter-finals are planned for February 25, semi-finals on March 4 and both finals to be played on March 11, hopefully at neutral venues.
- 1 Exeter Chiefs replace Native-American brand with nod to Devon's history
- 2 Can you help free the Rowcroft Six - or shall we let them stay where they are?
- 3 Johnson promised cash to 'build bigger, stronger squad'
- 4 New singers welcome as Torbay Gilbert and Sullivan Society start The Mikado rehearsals
- 5 Hero awards finalist Chris has that spark which makes him extra special!
- 6 From trawler to plate in a day - chef Mitch Tonks bringing Brixham fish straight to customers' doors
- 7 Frying high after 40 years - and raising thousands for charity
- 8 Lift off for Air Show but what about Red Arrows?
- 9 Teams work round clock to dismantle old railway bridge
- 10 Inside Oldway Mansion and a journey through its history
To ensure Covid rules are fully followed, the league will be played to the current EPSB coronavirus guidelines, which have been published on the league websites.
To ensure guidelines are followed, only three players from each team should attend matches, with no spectators, while away sides must also follow the specified travel guidelines.
Matches start on Thursday, October 29, with an earlier 7pm start time to ensure matches are completed by 9.45pm.
The full fixture lists and adapted rule details are being issued to all clubs, while results and standings will be updated on the league website (UK League Snooker) and regular reports placed online and in the Torbay Weekly.
The league will continue unless guidelines dictate otherwise and the committee hope everyone involved enjoys being back at the table.