Pro deals for United Academy stars
- Credit: Phil Mingo/PPAUK
Torquay United have given first pro contracts to two more products of their link with the Pro:Direct Academy at South Devon College - midfielders Scott Piper and Alex Moyse.
Piper's promotion follows a year which started with him appearing in the Gulls' senior pre-season friendlies in 2020 and included selection for the England Colleges FA Squad.
As well as United's Under-18 side, he's also played for East Allington in the South Devon League.
Moyse, from Dawlish, represents a rare capture from Exeter City.
He was a key member of the Grecians team which reached the Fourth Round of the FA Youth Cup, but he chose to join the SDC programme and is now a United pro.
The pair join centre-half Louie Slough and striker Olaf Koszela as current products of the club's youth scheme, although Owen Price and JJ Evans were released this summer after their own one-year deals.
The addition of Piper and Moyse takes manager Gary Johnson's squad to 19 players, after he completed seven new senior signings this week.
- 1 It's taken a generation but it is definitely now Paignton's turn
- 2 Jim Parker: Now is the Time for action after Chief Constable's revealing walkabout
- 3 Pre-season fundraiser in memory of footballers Kyle and Hayden
- 4 Retro Sport: Tracking Plainmoor heroes of the 1950s
- 5 Argyle sharpness defeats United
- 6 Laura will use Equity role to change attitudes about regional theatre
- 7 Regency-style terrace was leased to the rich and famous
- 8 Busy time in the transfer market
- 9 Farewell to Wellswood
- 10 £900,000 state-of-art gym signals start of new era at RIC
Piper and Moyse may well be included in this Saturday's opening friendly at Poole Town (3pm), where Johnson has hinted that a couple more trialists could also feature.