Tribute Western Counties Rugby League: Penalty clinches victory for Paignton
- Credit: Paignton Rugby Club
The boot of Mike Sandercock kicked Paignton to a welcome first win of the Tribute Western Counties West season, when the Cherries beat Penryn 16-10 at Queen's Park.
A fourth-minute try by Jake Scott-Beamish set Paignton on their way, and in a hard-fought contest which saw Penryn close the gap to 13-10 in the second half, Sandercock's aim remained true with 11 points.
His final penalty clinched victory near the end.
It was a timely lift for Paignton, for they travel to in-form Teignmouth this Saturday, after the leaders were emphatic winners of the Teign derby at Newton Abbot.
Newton, who have just announced a new four-year sponsorship deal with neighbouring firm Westaway Sausages, found Teignmouth too strong. The visitors won 36-15.
Brixham, with Bradley McKee, Connor Foster and Niall Cooney all making their debuts, were pipped 13-21 by Weston-super-Mare in a tight SW Premier game at Astley Park.
Brixham are home again this weekend, to Camborne.
- 1 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 2 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 3 Sally Allen: When is a woman not a woman?
- 4 Basketball: Torbay Tigers back to winning ways
- 5 Junior anglers take the fishing limelight
- 6 Torquay United 2 King's Lynn Town 0
- 7 Retro Sport: Lottery winner's cricket ambition that money couldn't buy
- 8 Rowing: Excellent conditions for river Dart racing
- 9 Securing future of Pavilion takes step forward
- 10 Artist William comes out from 'hiding' for exhibition
Torquay Athletic are second in Cornwall/Devon Division after a walkover-win at Newquay, ahead of a visit from North Tawton this Saturday.
Dartmouth enjoyed a similar W/O result against Totnes.
New Cross storm on in Devon One - they thumped South Molton 43-17 at Kingsteignton to remain in top spot.
But Buckfastleigh Rambers were on the end of a rather embarrassing scoreline at Exeter Athletic - Ramblers lost 109-12.
Saturday fixtures for our local clubs: SW Premier - Brixham v Camborne; W Counties West - Teignmouth v Paignton, Tiverton v Newton Abbot; Cornwall/Devon - Torquay Athletic v North Tawton; Devon One - Dartmouth v Exeter Athletic, Tamar Saracens v New Cross, Totnes v Plymouth Argaum, Buckfastleigh Rambers v Exeter Saracens.