Paignton vow to 'pick ourselves up and get cracking'
- Credit: Cameron Geran/PPAUK
Paignton captain George Benton did not mince his words after a nine-wicket Devon League Premier Division thrashing away to Plymouth, who took only eight brutal overs to reach a target of 92.
Paignton slumped from 70-3 - Harry Ward scored 32 - to 91 all out, the last five wickets falling for six runs.
But worse was to follow.
Plymouth's Faizan Riaz, who had taken 4-4, then hit 39no off only 13 balls, Luke Medlock unlucky to be on the sharp end of his assault.
"We just didn't turn up," Benton told the league's website. "I was shocked by our performance. But we can't dwell on it too long - we will pick ourselves up and get cracking."
The defeat cost Paignton second place, but they are home to lowly Hatherleigh this Saturday, before heading to leaders Tiverton Heathcoat the following weekend.
Tiverton lead with 123pts, from Sandford (118) and Paignton (103).
- 1 Havant & Waterlooville 4 Torquay United 2
- 2 Gary Johnson: "Our travelling fans were let down"
- 3 New signings on their way despite win
- 4 Torbay Triathlon Club's bumper results amid bumpy weather
- 5 Power lift for MND awareness raises over £13k
- 6 Double celebration as South Devon College awards own degrees for first time
- 7 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 8 United Community Day - it's a 'sell-out'
- 9 John 'flabbergasted' as he is shortlisted for top award
- 10 Spooky October half-term activities at Torquay Museum
Bovey Tracey, who beat Sidmouth by eight wickets, are seventh, but only 12 points behind Paignton in a congested mid-table.
Promotion-chasing Torquay's formidable top-order made light work of Plympton's 250-8 in the A Division - Tim Western 111, Chris Kelmere 93no.
Barton's 91ao cost them a five-wicket defeat at home to North Devon, but Abbotskerswell continued their improvement with a Chetan Peiris-inspired (49 plus 3-10) 102-run win over Cullompton.
There were C Division West wins for Ashburton against Brixham (6wkts), Paignton 2nds at home to Stoke Gabriel (28runs) and Teignmouth and Shaldon, for whom Sean McKenna hit 99, against South Devon (29runs).
Other fixtures for local clubs this Saturday include: A Division - Tavistock v Barton, Torquay v Abbotskerswell; B - Dartington/Totnes v Ipplepen; C West - South Devon v Brixham, Teignmouth/Shaldon v Paignton II, Stoke Gabriel v Ashburton; D West - Chelston/Kingskerswell v Plympton II, Ipplepen II v Plymstock II, Barton II v Yelverton, Babbacombe v Kingsbridge, Abbotskerswell II v Whitchurch.