Paignton bowled out after brave chase
- Credit: Cameron Geran/PPAUK
Title-chasing Paignton just came up short in one of the games of the Devon Cricket League Premier Division season, losing by ten runs after a brave chase against improving Sidmouth in the Queen's Park sunshine.
Archie Farkins (3-46) and Connor Ashworth (3-48) helped to restrict Sidmouth, but crucial runs by No.7 Cameron Evans-Grainger (45no) and James Pickard (22) hauled them up to 236-9.
Harry Ward then scored a patient 56, Sehan Weerasinghe 45, Sam Robbins 22 and Cole Harford 35no.
But three stumpings by Evans-Grainger, two of them down the legside, proved crucial for Sidmouth and Paignton were bowed out 226 with three balls to spare.
George Benton's side (83), who entertain Exeter this Saturday, are two points behind new leaders Tiverton Heathcoat (85), and eleven points then cover third-placed Sandford (78) down to Bovey Tracey (67) in eighth.
Cullompton needed a serious total to stretch Torquay (4th) in A Division, and their Jamal Annar did score 103, but 216 all out (Noah Rider 3-14, Ben Passenger 3-63) was unlikely to be enough.
So it proved - Tim Western hit 94 and Chris Kelmere 87no as Torquay cruised home by nine wickets.
- 1 £15,000 'compensation' as Nemane leaves Torquay United
- 2 'Why we just love being part of Team Beverley'
- 3 New £10 million Claylands site just the job for growing Bay firm
- 4 Expert advice proved to be icing on cake for cafe sisters Abi and Finola
- 5 'Golden opportunity' awaits Bay - but we need to get people back into work
- 6 Your Bay Needs You - and here are some of the jobs available
- 7 Amazing day of transfers at Torquay United
- 8 Determination and talent... wracked by injuries, Gulls refused to go under
- 9 Famous Redcliffe Hotel sold for £4.5 million
- 10 Please only use hospital A&E if your life depends on it
Bradninch batsman Gary Chappell took the Barton bowling for 153 (16x4, 6x6) out of 310-8 at Cricketfield Road, where the hosts were all out for 108.
Abbotskerswell paid the price for letting Budleigh Salterton off the hook. Budleigh were 61-5 before recovering to 210-9, and then dismissed Abbots for 140.
Brixham (Abdul Muzammil 69no) thrashed Stoke Gabriel (130) by nine wickets in C Division West, where Teignmouth and Shaldon's Seamus McKenna (137) led his side to a remarkable five-wicket win, chasing 275 at Bridestowe.
Saturday fixtures for local clubs include: A Division - Tavistock v Torquay, Plympton v Barton, Seaton v Abbotskerswell; B - Dartington/Totnes v Bideford, Bovey Tracey II v Heathcoat II, Ipplepen v Chudleigh; C West - South Devon v Bridestowe, Plymouth II v Paignton II, Stoke Gabriel v Hatherleigh II, Brixham v Teignmouth/Shaldon; D West - Babbacombe v Whitchurch, Yelverton v Chelston/Kingskerswell, Abbotskerswell II v Ipplepen II, Barton II v Plymstock II.