National League round-up
- Credit: Tom Sandberg/PPAUK
Torquay United's main title rivals, Sutton United and Hartlepool United, both enjoyed emphatic victories, but the rest of the promotion chasers all lost ground on a day of surprises in the National League.
The Gulls did not play this weekend - they next travel to Woking on Tuesday night - so they had to watch as leaders Hartlepool thumped Wealdstone away 7-2.
The Teessiders are now unbeaten in 15 games, but they have played several more games than everyone else.
Second-placed Sutton, whose 14-match unbeaten run was ended by Torquay (1-0) in midweek, bounced back with a 4-0 win at Altrincham.
But big-spending Stockport County were held 2-2 at home by Maidenhead United, Chesterfield lost 2-1 at home to Bromley and Notts County were beaten 1-0 at Meadow Lane by Eastleigh.
Wrexham, who won 4-0 at Woking, and FC Halifax Town, who beat King's Lynn 4-2, moved above Chesterfield and Notts into fifth and sixth places.
Hartlepool now lead (P36/Pts67), from Sutton (33/66), with Torquay third (33/63).
- 1 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award
- 2 Family 'overwhelmed' by tributes after death of rugby and port legend Bern
- 3 New loan signing for United
- 4 John 'flabbergasted' as he is shortlisted for top award
- 5 Torbay Business Forum pair nominated for national awards
- 6 Death of former Gulls winger Tony Scott in Australia
- 7 Big Cup night for the Gulls
- 8 Torbay builders merchant calling out to charities
- 9 Torbay Triathlon Club's bumper results amid bumpy weather
- 10 Classic cars undergoing bespoke conversions to electric
Stockport are fourth (34/59), ahead of Wrexham (34/53), Halifax (33/53), Chesterfield (32/52) and Notts (32/52).