National League round-up
- Credit: Tom Sandberg/PPAUK
Torquay United's main title rivals, Sutton United and Hartlepool United, both enjoyed emphatic victories, but the rest of the promotion chasers all lost ground on a day of surprises in the National League.
The Gulls did not play this weekend - they next travel to Woking on Tuesday night - so they had to watch as leaders Hartlepool thumped Wealdstone away 7-2.
The Teessiders are now unbeaten in 15 games, but they have played several more games than everyone else.
Second-placed Sutton, whose 14-match unbeaten run was ended by Torquay (1-0) in midweek, bounced back with a 4-0 win at Altrincham.
But big-spending Stockport County were held 2-2 at home by Maidenhead United, Chesterfield lost 2-1 at home to Bromley and Notts County were beaten 1-0 at Meadow Lane by Eastleigh.
Wrexham, who won 4-0 at Woking, and FC Halifax Town, who beat King's Lynn 4-2, moved above Chesterfield and Notts into fifth and sixth places.
Hartlepool now lead (P36/Pts67), from Sutton (33/66), with Torquay third (33/63).
- 1 Latest twist in the National League race
- 2 Vince to lead way for Devon tourism
- 3 Alfresco touch to eating down on the farm
- 4 'Earring aid' pair are inspiring sister act!
- 5 Dean and pals sign up for toughest row across Atlantic
- 6 Why you should neuter your cat - male or female
- 7 Captain Asa 'would give anything' to lead Gulls to promotion
- 8 Fish of the month competition has a winner
- 9 Fans can return to Plainmoor
- 10 A blast from my past
Stockport are fourth (34/59), ahead of Wrexham (34/53), Halifax (33/53), Chesterfield (32/52) and Notts (32/52).