'Must do better' says Johnson as Gulls drive for promotion
- Credit: Steve Bond/Pinnacle
A 'must do better' message from manager Gary Johnson underlined his determination to keep driving Torquay United's National League promotion push after a last-gasp 1-0 victory at Wrexham completed a six-point Easter.
Defender Sam Sherring's 93rd minute volley earned the Gulls' first win at Wrexham for 33 years, and a fourth in five games, but Johnson's verdict was scathing.
"Of course I'm pleased with the three points, but don't expect me to talk about how happy I am," he said.
"Our organisation and defending won it for us - it was probably our worst attacking performance for a long time.
"The lads know that I've got higher standards for them than that."
The top-seven reads: Sutton P31/Pts 63 (GD+25), Hartlepool 34/61 (+14), Torquay 31/57 (+22), Stockport 31/52 (+20), Notts County 29/52 (+15), Chesterfield 29/48 (+13), Halifax 30/47 (+11).
- 1 Five new business units planned in coach station overhaul
- 2 Norrms McNamara: Ten-second delay...
- 3 Paul Jolly: Smart motorway common sense
- 4 Flower meadows get Bay buzzing
- 5 Gulls start Trophy journey in Tonbridge
- 6 Extended semi-detached house offers scope for annexe
- 7 Rowing: GB rower is guest of honour at presentation night
- 8 Coastwatch and disabled sailors team up to ensure safe sailing
- 9 Our nights of darts, pool and the birth of Torbay's 'ghostbusters'
- 10 Have a fiver off a Christmas tree at Marldon