'Must do better' says Johnson as Gulls drive for promotion
- Credit: Steve Bond/Pinnacle
A 'must do better' message from manager Gary Johnson underlined his determination to keep driving Torquay United's National League promotion push after a last-gasp 1-0 victory at Wrexham completed a six-point Easter.
Defender Sam Sherring's 93rd minute volley earned the Gulls' first win at Wrexham for 33 years, and a fourth in five games, but Johnson's verdict was scathing.
"Of course I'm pleased with the three points, but don't expect me to talk about how happy I am," he said.
"Our organisation and defending won it for us - it was probably our worst attacking performance for a long time.
"The lads know that I've got higher standards for them than that."
The top-seven reads: Sutton P31/Pts 63 (GD+25), Hartlepool 34/61 (+14), Torquay 31/57 (+22), Stockport 31/52 (+20), Notts County 29/52 (+15), Chesterfield 29/48 (+13), Halifax 30/47 (+11).
- 1 Latest twist in the National League race
- 2 Vince to lead way for Devon tourism
- 3 'Earring aid' pair are inspiring sister act!
- 4 Alfresco touch to eating down on the farm
- 5 Dean and pals sign up for toughest row across Atlantic
- 6 Captain Asa 'would give anything' to lead Gulls to promotion
- 7 Why you should neuter your cat - male or female
- 8 I'd like to thank the people of Paignton for backing Cat
- 9 Fish of the month competition has a winner
- 10 Fans can return to Plainmoor