'Must do better' says Johnson as Gulls drive for promotion
- Credit: Steve Bond/Pinnacle
A 'must do better' message from manager Gary Johnson underlined his determination to keep driving Torquay United's National League promotion push after a last-gasp 1-0 victory at Wrexham completed a six-point Easter.
Defender Sam Sherring's 93rd minute volley earned the Gulls' first win at Wrexham for 33 years, and a fourth in five games, but Johnson's verdict was scathing.
"Of course I'm pleased with the three points, but don't expect me to talk about how happy I am," he said.
"Our organisation and defending won it for us - it was probably our worst attacking performance for a long time.
"The lads know that I've got higher standards for them than that."
The top-seven reads: Sutton P31/Pts 63 (GD+25), Hartlepool 34/61 (+14), Torquay 31/57 (+22), Stockport 31/52 (+20), Notts County 29/52 (+15), Chesterfield 29/48 (+13), Halifax 30/47 (+11).
- 1 Gary Johnson reaction to Tiverton win
- 2 Tiverton Town 1 Torquay United 3
- 3 The little door behind the main stand
- 4 Asian hornet pays a visit to Devon Hills
- 5 Walk down to secluded cove is rich with wildlife and flowers
- 6 £1,800 for four good causes as Foster’s Fund pays out
- 7 Gary's respect for Martyn Rogers
- 8 Torquay host fourth coastal rowing regatta of league
- 9 £10m underspend will 'help prepare council for summer'
- 10 Field of 625 to tackle Totnes 10k alongside River Dart