Large crowd treated to exciting Teign derby
- Credit: Teignmouth AFC
Devon Women's Football League round-up with Keith Hawkins:
In the Western Division of the Joma Devon Women's Football League, the long-awaited River Teign derby between newcomers Teignmouth Ladies and Shaldon Villa took place at Teignmouth's Coombe Valley ground.
On a beautiful, sunny afternoon a large crowd was treated to an exciting end-to-end game of football.
Shaldon opened the scoring on the stroke of half-time when Teign's 'keeper failed to hold a shot from Roisin Skilton and it ended in the back of the net.
Villa doubled their lead within minutes of the restart as Lauren Smith rose at the back post to head home a pin point centre.
Teignmouth hit straight back to reduce the deficit as Lauren Hunton breached the visitors' defence to make it 2-1.
The game then ebbed and flowed with both back lines and goalkeepers performing well, until Lauren Smith doubled her tally latching on to a through ball to give Shaldon a 3-1 victory and all three points.
- 1 Gary Johnson: Whatever I may say, I'm a very bad loser
- 2 How we can cope with the Enemy Within
- 3 Tough player decisions ahead as Gaffer tries to build Torquay United squad fit for success
- 4 Top fashion store Maggie & Co closes doors after 48 years - but 'we leave on a high'
- 5 TW Livermead Coffee Girls
- 6 How you can help us win the battle against winter
- 7 Christmas arrives in Torquay thanks to a sparkly wand (and an MP and jeweller)
- 8 Brixham Reserves take the biggest stride forward in South Devon Prem
- 9 Christmas hamper appeal aims to help 120 Torbay families
- 10 Winter fest is back - and so too is Father Christmas
Torquay United Reserves travelled to play early season title rivals Signal Box Oak Villa and maintained their 100 per cent record and strengthened their position at the top of the table.
They stormed in to a 3-1 half-time with goals from Leanne Robbins, Antonia Nash and Harriet Bowring and kept this score line throughout the second half.
Following a delayed start, Activate notched up a 7-1 away win against Uni Plymouth.
Heidi Davies hit a hat-trick, Becky McMullin, scored twice with Carleigh Boyce and Amy Wise getting one apiece. Emily Watts scored for the students.
WESTERN DIVISION - Signal Box Oak Villa 1-3 Torquay United Reserves, Teignmouth Ladies 1-3 Shaldon Villa, Uni Plymouth 1-7 Activate.