'Ladies Day' first for Gulls as ticket giveaway combats sexism in the game
- Credit: Phil Mingo/PPAUK
First, Torquay United threw their doors open to local community groups, then it was NHS and care sector workers for last Saturday's 2-0 win over Dover Athletic - and next it will be an historic 'Ladies Day' with a difference at Plainmoor.
The Gulls' third Community Day will see them become the first club to give a whole terrace away to women at a professional men's game.
A thousand free tickets in the Wollens Stand will be available for the next home National League match, against FC Halifax Town on Saturday, November 27.
It's part of a link-up with HerGameToo, an organisation founded by 12 keen female fans to combat sexism in the game and encourage more ladies to get involved.
United director Mel Hayman said: "The club prides itself on being a family friendly and inclusive environment for all supporters regardless of gender.
"This is another worthy cause that our club and community can embrace by working together."
Caz May, one of the co-founders of HerGameToo, said: "Torquay United are a fantastic club with a reputation already, one that we have always been keen to get involved with.
- 1 How we can cope with the Enemy Within
- 2 Devon beaches producing a healthy catch
- 3 Johnson looking to turn around the "mess"
- 4 Norrms McNamara: Ten-second delay...
- 5 Jim Parker: Top fashion store Maggie & Co closes doors after 48 years - but 'we leave on a high'
- 6 Part Two of the famous Gents bus and Beacon Down becomes Broken Down!
- 7 Torbay's green spaces go wild
- 8 Picture special: Sunrise in Torquay
- 9 Extended semi-detached house offers scope for annexe
- 10 Driving home for Christmas - but plan ahead to minimise problems
"They have a large percentage of female supporters, so I can imagine the entire fanbase will be incredibly proud of their support towards kicking sexism out of football."
United's Community Days have not only boosted gates, but enhanced the atmosphere at recent matches.
The first venture, in the wake of an FA Cup exit and a lean spell of results, helped to pull in more than 2,500 for a 2-0 win over King's Lynn Town.
Then the presence of nearly a thousand NHS and care workers saw 2,892 at last weekend's win over Dover, with the 'guests' given a rousing reception by regular supporters.
Female fans who wish to take advantage of the November 27 offer can obtain tickets via the United website using the promotion code 'HERGAMETOO' at the checkout or by calling the club on 01803 328666.