Gary Johnson plays down Boxing Day ‘revenge’ factor against former club
- Credit: Dave Crawford/PPAUK
Top of the National League and safely through to the Fourth Round of the FA Trophy, Torquay United tackle West Country rivals Yeovil Town in a major revenge mission on Boxing Day (3pm).
The Gulls, who expect to sell out their Covid-restricted 1,728 tickets, lost 2-6 and 0-2 to Yeovil in holiday derbies last season.
Manager Gary Johnson is playing down the ‘revenge’ factor against his former club, in public at least, but after admitting that much-changed United were not at their best in a 1-0 Trophy win at Southern League Chesham, he said: “There is a bigger picture, and that’s the league.
“All that matters against Yeovil is the three points.
"We know we’ve got to play better than we did at the weekend, and we will."
Despite their lowly position, the Glovers have not lost away from home and are especially dangerous at set-pieces.
- 1 Weekend watch for Torquay United
- 2 Ryan Law returns to Argyle
- 3 Dramatic bovine rescue from Torbay waters
- 4 Jim Parker: Dave on the warpath again as 'majority lose out to minority' in anti-social battle
- 5 Privileged to see jockey Dickie Johnson at Newton Abbot since start of career
- 6 Spacious and flexible accommodation has been improved, updated, and extended
- 7 Emotional day that revealed close-knit family behind monarchy
- 8 Queues form at Trago for Re-Open Day
- 9 Charity walk was 'eye-opening experience'
- 10 All guns blazing from Torquay United