Gary Johnson plays down Boxing Day ‘revenge’ factor against former club
- Credit: Dave Crawford/PPAUK
Top of the National League and safely through to the Fourth Round of the FA Trophy, Torquay United tackle West Country rivals Yeovil Town in a major revenge mission on Boxing Day (3pm).
The Gulls, who expect to sell out their Covid-restricted 1,728 tickets, lost 2-6 and 0-2 to Yeovil in holiday derbies last season.
Manager Gary Johnson is playing down the ‘revenge’ factor against his former club, in public at least, but after admitting that much-changed United were not at their best in a 1-0 Trophy win at Southern League Chesham, he said: “There is a bigger picture, and that’s the league.
“All that matters against Yeovil is the three points.
"We know we’ve got to play better than we did at the weekend, and we will."
Despite their lowly position, the Glovers have not lost away from home and are especially dangerous at set-pieces.
- 1 First friendly for Torquay United
- 2 Hard-fought affair as Barton win derby
- 3 £15,000 'compensation' as Nemane leaves Torquay United
- 4 Dead head and you'll have chocolate-scented flowers until autumn
- 5 South West boasts 'naturally inspiring' crime rates
- 6 Nemane to Notts
- 7 Spectacular views from Buccaneer's Way walk
- 8 Celebrating the power and strength of local community
- 9 Famous Redcliffe Hotel sold for £4.5 million
- 10 Pro deals for United Academy stars