Gary Johnson plays down Boxing Day ‘revenge’ factor against former club
- Credit: Dave Crawford/PPAUK
Top of the National League and safely through to the Fourth Round of the FA Trophy, Torquay United tackle West Country rivals Yeovil Town in a major revenge mission on Boxing Day (3pm).
The Gulls, who expect to sell out their Covid-restricted 1,728 tickets, lost 2-6 and 0-2 to Yeovil in holiday derbies last season.
Manager Gary Johnson is playing down the ‘revenge’ factor against his former club, in public at least, but after admitting that much-changed United were not at their best in a 1-0 Trophy win at Southern League Chesham, he said: “There is a bigger picture, and that’s the league.
“All that matters against Yeovil is the three points.
"We know we’ve got to play better than we did at the weekend, and we will."
Despite their lowly position, the Glovers have not lost away from home and are especially dangerous at set-pieces.
- 1 Tributes paid to college champion, BBC legend and 'real gentleman' Alan, 85
- 2 Tributes flow for legendary harbour artist Bill - our 'William in Orange'
- 3 NL suspension is out of the question
- 4 We will need sport more than ever if and when we ever escape this dreadful pandemic
- 5 Midfield decisions for Torquay United
- 6 Widow Joan, 87, tells anti-vaxxers: 'Don't be silly'
- 7 New owners plan takeaway menu until Paignton cafe can open
- 8 Gulls going for 'double' after transfer signings
- 9 Contemporary house on exclusive development
- 10 Mum Abi battles through tough times thanks to her children - and writing