Gary Johnson plays down Boxing Day ‘revenge’ factor against former club
- Credit: Dave Crawford/PPAUK
Top of the National League and safely through to the Fourth Round of the FA Trophy, Torquay United tackle West Country rivals Yeovil Town in a major revenge mission on Boxing Day (3pm).
The Gulls, who expect to sell out their Covid-restricted 1,728 tickets, lost 2-6 and 0-2 to Yeovil in holiday derbies last season.
Manager Gary Johnson is playing down the ‘revenge’ factor against his former club, in public at least, but after admitting that much-changed United were not at their best in a 1-0 Trophy win at Southern League Chesham, he said: “There is a bigger picture, and that’s the league.
“All that matters against Yeovil is the three points.
"We know we’ve got to play better than we did at the weekend, and we will."
Despite their lowly position, the Glovers have not lost away from home and are especially dangerous at set-pieces.
- 1 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 2 Aldi, KFC and Costa Coffee plan approved for 'Gateway to Torquay'
- 3 Turning our season around
- 4 Underdog mindset for the Gulls
- 5 Ticket price offer for Torquay United's FA Cup tie
- 6 £1million grants to give Bay new housing boost
- 7 Paignton pub The Isaac Merritt to go up for auction
- 8 Blooming marvellous Torbay winners
- 9 Norrms McNamara: The loneliness of dementia
- 10 Midfielder Lapslie: Gulls will 'be up there at the end of the season'