Ironman effort to raise cash for Torbay surf therapy project
- Credit: The Wave Project
A charity volunteer is set to complete his first Ironman Triathlon this weekend to raise money for a project that provides surf therapy for children across Torbay.
Chris Leaman has completed several smaller events up to half Ironman but he has not done a full Ironman before.
Speaking on Monday during the mini heatwave, Chris said: ""The training has taken over my life. I hope we don't have this heat. I've just come back from a 50-mile bike ride and it's intense.
"I am a volunteer for The Wave Project charity because of the great work they do in helping children overcome a wide variety of personal challenges.
"They run courses using local facilities and volunteers who give up their time to support.
"I work with them locally at Goodrington beach, Paignton, with other volunteers and training led by Reach Outdoors, who offer sports and fitness instruction and have a large amount of kit for the children to work with.
"To help support The Wave Project, I will be taking part in my first-ever Ironman distance Triathlon on Sunday, July 25.
- 1 Gulls walking Covid tightrope ahead of Solihull visit
- 2 Frying high after 40 years - and raising thousands for charity
- 3 Gulls downed by two late goals
- 4 Torbay remains 'Covid capital of Devon' despite drop in cases
- 5 Mark takes over at helm as Teignbridge Propellers invest in future
- 6 Swiss Raw crew cross finish line to win Atlantic rowing race
- 7 Patricia's delighted to bring Noel Coward's Private Lives to Princess Theatre
- 8 Green Spaces: A place to grow for Torbay trees
- 9 Increase in number of incidents on Torbay waters
- 10 Lack of experience damages United
"Although I have taken part in triathons previously, I have not done an Ironman before so the 2.4-mile swim followed by a 112-mile bike ride and finishing with a 26.2-mile run will be a challenge for me.
"It would mean a lot to me and the charity if anyone is able to sponsor me with anything they can afford to put towards this very worthy charity."
The Wave Project is an award-winning charity that helps vulnerable children and young people improve their health and wellbeing through a combination of surfing and mentoring.
With the aid of amazing volunteers and supporters, The Wave Project has worked with thousands of children over the past ten years, including many in Torbay.
To support Chris, make a donation at www.justgiving.com - search for 'Chris Leaman'. For information about The Wave Project, log on to www.waveproject.co.uk.