Ironman effort to raise cash for Torbay surf therapy project
- Credit: The Wave Project
A charity volunteer is set to complete his first Ironman Triathlon this weekend to raise money for a project that provides surf therapy for children across Torbay.
Chris Leaman has completed several smaller events up to half Ironman but he has not done a full Ironman before.
Speaking on Monday during the mini heatwave, Chris said: ""The training has taken over my life. I hope we don't have this heat. I've just come back from a 50-mile bike ride and it's intense.
"I am a volunteer for The Wave Project charity because of the great work they do in helping children overcome a wide variety of personal challenges.
"They run courses using local facilities and volunteers who give up their time to support.
"I work with them locally at Goodrington beach, Paignton, with other volunteers and training led by Reach Outdoors, who offer sports and fitness instruction and have a large amount of kit for the children to work with.
"To help support The Wave Project, I will be taking part in my first-ever Ironman distance Triathlon on Sunday, July 25.
- 1 Nightmare on Torwood Street continues...
- 2 Are you running on E10 and is it feeling any different?
- 3 Busy weekend for South Devon AC runners
- 4 The Spanish are beaten on their field of stones
- 5 Spirited draw for the Gulls
- 6 Seafront switch on for a brighter and lighter future
- 7 Paignton Bowling Club win Mid Devon League Cup
- 8 Torbay AAC trio tackle Saints' Way Challenge
- 9 Austins battle through Spanish flu, World War Two and now pandemic but boss David says: 'Now is our Time'
- 10 Chesterfield 2 Torquay United 2
"Although I have taken part in triathons previously, I have not done an Ironman before so the 2.4-mile swim followed by a 112-mile bike ride and finishing with a 26.2-mile run will be a challenge for me.
"It would mean a lot to me and the charity if anyone is able to sponsor me with anything they can afford to put towards this very worthy charity."
The Wave Project is an award-winning charity that helps vulnerable children and young people improve their health and wellbeing through a combination of surfing and mentoring.
With the aid of amazing volunteers and supporters, The Wave Project has worked with thousands of children over the past ten years, including many in Torbay.
To support Chris, make a donation at www.justgiving.com - search for 'Chris Leaman'. For information about The Wave Project, log on to www.waveproject.co.uk.