Your slice of Torquay United history
- Credit: Archant
As Torquay United continue their amazing progress in what could potentially become a historic second return to the Football League, the Torbay Weekly has been proud to present a unique insight into Plainmoor history.
Compiled by legendary United reporter Dave Thomas and former club secretary Tim Herbert, Inside the Gulls comprises 41 fantastic chapters looking at the players, personalities, incidents and campaigns that have shaped the Torquay United story.
Dancing our way through Plainmoor folklore, Inside the Gulls lifts the lid on United greats, including the wonderful Neville Southall, the craftsman Alex Russell, the enigma Justin Fashanu and the pioneer Tony Collins.
From the modern era, we celebrate the creative genius of Eunan O’Kane, the wonder-goals of Luke Young, the left-foot wand of Kevin Nicholson and the influential leadership of Lee Mansell.
Inside the Gulls goes back to the earlier years of the United story, celebrating the amazing Don Mills, widely considered the greatest player to wear the shirt, as well as the triumphs of managerial legends like Frank O’Farrell, Eric Webber, Neil Warnock, Paul Buckle, Leroy Rosenior and the current incumbent Gary Johnson.
As we all know, the United story has not always been a picture of success and glory. Inside the Gulls also trundles down the darker path, remembering the chaos of Chris Roberts, the brink of extinction in just the last few years, the High Court bribe and the bite of a dog.
Plus, so much more.
- 1 Torquay United 2 King's Lynn Town 0
- 2 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 3 Defensive duties at Torquay United
- 4 Rowing: Excellent conditions for river Dart racing
- 5 Let's get together - reconnecting with people is food for the soul
- 6 Dr Peter Moore: I don't need an app giving me a 'medal' for brushing my teeth properly!
- 7 War veteran wins Brixham Lottery - with cards bought for his 105th birthday
- 8 Keith Perry: Family-friendly ramble around park that's home to variety of wildlife
- 9 Bid to rid town of Crossways eyesore takes giant leap forward
- 10 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award
Inside the Gulls is a limited-edition publication, a chance to preserve your piece of Torquay United history and we are now into the final batch. To ensure the exclusivity of this unique product, no further copies will be printed – now is the time to order your copy.
For just £7.50, which includes the cost of postage, Inside the Gulls will be delivered to your door. Or, if you live in the TQ1 – TQ5 postcodes, we can arrange for a copy to be delivered alongside your Torbay Weekly newspaper at a reduced price of £5.
To secure your copy of Inside the Gulls, simply contact email@example.com and we will process the order. Alternatively, you can pop by the Torbay Weekly office in Castle Circus to pick up a copy.