Inside the Gulls: From the Father of Plainmoor to iconic Popside
- Credit: Archant
Inside the Gulls goes from the Father of Plainmoor and the iconic Popside to a legendary left-back and play-off heartbreak in another thrilling week of chapters.
We start this latest selection by remembering the great Eric Webber, who shaped Torquay United's future with an epic spell as manager, dealing with triumph and disaster with the composure of a genuine Plainmoor hero.
It is then on to Friday and we pay homage to the wonderful Popside, speaking to the Yellow Army, former players and managers on what it is like to view the action from this special part of the ground and how it feels to be in the middle of the football fight, when the Popside is either happy or frustrated.
The weekend begins with the fascinating story of Kevin Nicholson's long playing career in the Yellow and Blue, ranging from the joy of promotion to the pain of relegation.
Speaking with tremendous honesty, Nicho reveals some of the dressing-room dramas under Paul Buckle and Martin Ling, plus how he resurrected his Football League career before it had really begun.
Our final chapter for this week is a painful one for the Gulls, as we go back to a heartbreaking play-off semi-final against the old rivals from Exeter City. United had a Wembley appearance in their hands until it all went wrong on a devastating night at Plainmoor.
Thanks to Pinnacle Photo Agency, Paul Levie and the late Colin Bratcher for providing the images for Inside the Gulls.
- 1 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 2 Emotional day that revealed close-knit family behind monarchy
- 3 Spacious and flexible accommodation has been improved, updated, and extended
- 4 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
- 5 Dramatic bovine rescue from Torbay waters
- 6 Prince Philip's final resting place will be in tiny chapel
- 7 National League round-up
- 8 All aboard the Land train for lots of fun - and a history lesson or two!
- 9 I hope formality is put aside and the Queen is able to grieve for Prince Philip
- 10 An ideal family home or investment purchase
Inside the Gulls will be a downloadable series through www.torbayweekly.co.uk and just £9.99 to subscribe, which equates to just 25p per chapter. Subscribe at www.torbayweekly/co.uk
In addition to your digital version of Inside the Gulls, subscribers will receive a printed glossy bookazine copy on completion of the series. Even if you subscribe later in the series, all previously published chapters will be available to enjoy.
Signing up to Inside the Gulls will also benefit your club, with a percentage from every subscription donated to supporting the club as well as a specific Plainmoor project sponsored by Torbay Weekly.