Second half kicks off with Inside Gulls series
- Credit: Archant
We kick-off the second half of our fantastic Inside the Gulls series with four more riveting chapters to enjoy this week.
It all starts with an agonising season that saw Torquay United come within less than a goal of earning promotion to the second tier of the English game, eventually losing out to Alf Ramsey's Ipswich Town.
We then fast forward to 2011 and the bizarre story of two ineligible players at Plainmoor. United lost 3-1 at home to Hereford on a cold Tuesday night but, even worse, the scorer for the Gulls was Jake Robinson, who had not been correctly registered following his loan move the previous day.
In a case unique to the Football League, Hereford also had an ineligible player in their team and both teams would face a belated sanction.
On Saturday, it is proper pantomime villain stuff, as we remember the painful clashes with Crawley Town, Steve Evans and the infamous Paul Raynor, with added recollections from Darren Moore on a fateful day in Preston.
The week of chapters is completed by a full interview with Geoff Harrop, the former academy manager at Plainmoor and then the general manager at the dawn of a new era for the Gulls.
Geoff had to battle through a lot of criticism and scepticism but still played his part in the stability we are all now enjoying at Plainmoor.
- 1 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 2 Emotional day that revealed close-knit family behind monarchy
- 3 Spacious and flexible accommodation has been improved, updated, and extended
- 4 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
- 5 Dramatic bovine rescue from Torbay waters
- 6 Prince Philip's final resting place will be in tiny chapel
- 7 National League round-up
- 8 An ideal family home or investment purchase
- 9 All aboard the Land train for lots of fun - and a history lesson or two!
- 10 I hope formality is put aside and the Queen is able to grieve for Prince Philip
Thanks to Pinnacle Photo Agency, Paul Levie and the late Colin Bratcher for providing the images for Inside the Gulls.
Inside the Gulls will be a downloadable series through www.torbayweekly.co.uk and just £9.99 to subscribe, which equates to just 25p per chapter. Subscribe at www.torbayweekly.co.uk
In addition to your digital version of Inside the Gulls, subscribers will receive a printed glossy bookazine copy on completion of the series. Even if you subscribe later in the series, all previously published chapters will be available to enjoy.
• Signing up to Inside the Gulls will also benefit your club, with a percentage from every subscription donated to supporting the club as well as a specific Plainmoor project sponsored by Torbay Weekly.