Inside Gulls: Chairmen, marathons and Manse
- Credit: Archant
The superb Inside the Gulls series reaches new heights this week, with four fascinating chapters from the Torquay United past.
It all starts with a story on two legendary chairmen, Tony Boyce and Mike Bateson.
Both men had to deal with the full spectrum of triumph and disaster during their custodianship, as we reveal untold stories from their tenures.
We next remember one of the most frustrating experiences for the Yellow Army. After an enthralling League Two campaign under manager Paul Buckle, United needed to win just one more game.
The Gulls travelled to Old Trafford as firm favourites for a play-off final against Stevenage but, from the start, it was not our day.
The weekend opens with the story of Cyril Knowles, a legendary former player at Tottenham Hotspur, who arrived at Plainmoor as manager in 1987 and immediately embarked on a marathon season to success.
Cyril was an icon of the United past, a great manager who was sadly taken from us far too young.
- 1 Show is world’s largest gathering of more than 3,000 iconic classic and vintage cars and motorbikes
- 2 Midweek shocks in the National League
- 3 Property of the Week: Simply striking family home in semi-rural setting
- 4 Probus Club 'home' at last to hear about ghosts, gallows and 'Big Foot'
- 5 Norrms McNamara: All care staff need to be trained in dementia
- 6 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 7 All go at Rotary club with new president, vaccines, golf and a chicken run!
- 8 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 9 Indoor bowls: 'A' team win all four rinks
- 10 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
We round things off this week with a captain ranked up their with our greatest United leaders. Lee Mansell fell in love with Torquay and it showed with every single performance. This chapter looks at the influence of Manse on his team-mates and the respect he earned from the Yellow Army.
Thanks to Pinnacle Photo Agency, Paul Levie and the late Colin Bratcher for providing the images for Inside the Gulls.
Inside the Gulls will be a downloadable series through www.torbayweekly.co.uk and just £9.99 to subscribe, which equates to just 25p per chapter. Subscribe at www.torbayweekly/.co.uk
In addition to your digital version of Inside the Gulls, subscribers will receive a printed glossy bookazine copy on completion of the series. Even if you subscribe later in the series, all previously published chapters will be available to enjoy.
Signing up to Inside the Gulls will also benefit your club, with a percentage from every subscription donated to supporting the club as well as a specific Plainmoor project sponsored by Torbay Weekly.