Indoor bowls club set to reopen in time for winter season
- Credit: Submitted
Torbay Indoor Bowls Club is set to reopen for the winter season next month.
The club in Oldway Drive, Paignton, opens on Saturday, September 18 and leagues will start on Monday, September 20.
Covid has taken its toll on members rejoining and entering teams in the leagues, said a club spokesperson.
"Many people are worried about conditions inside the club. I can only reiterate now we have new units installed, the airflow is far better than what the guidelines issued by the Government and EIBA advisors say it should be for indoor sports arenas.
"Hand sanitisers will still be available at various points around the club."
At a recent meeting, due to the poor uptake on the Wednesday and Friday mixed fours leagues, it is with regret the decision was taken to cancel those two leagues.
"This does not mean it is the end, once the club is fully open and people start putting names on the subs sheets, those leagues could be revived if enough people are interested," said the spokesperson.
- 1 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award
- 2 Family 'overwhelmed' by tributes after death of rugby and port legend Bern
- 3 New loan signing for United
- 4 Torbay Business Forum pair nominated for national awards
- 5 John 'flabbergasted' as he is shortlisted for top award
- 6 Death of former Gulls winger Tony Scott in Australia
- 7 Cricket: All-rounder Craig Eaves returns to Brixham with eye on overdue promotion
- 8 Torbay builders merchant calling out to charities
- 9 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 10 New travel agency promises 'booking process as exciting as holiday itself'
The decision was also taken to allow ladies to be a named member or substitute in any of the leagues. This is to try and compensate for the poor uptake.
This decision will be reviewed before the start of the 22/23 season.
Anyone interested in entering a team should contact Graham on email@example.com or 07747 825 916. All fees will be the same as last season.
The summer bowls opening has been a success and hopefully will continue to grow.
The ladies' leagues are also short of players. Anyone interested should contact Jenny Hopkins on 01803 550980.