Hungry bass fished from the beach
- Credit: John Sherlock
Local beaches seem to be a bit quiet at the moment for those fishing with baits with only a few small whiting being caught.
The exception being Tim Parsons of Exmouth’s Hook, Line and Tackle, who fished Exmouth beach after dark with peeler crab and ragworms for bait and found several hungry Bass. Rock marks are faring a little better with the lure anglers still finding Bass and Wrasse.
Mackerel are still to be found in and around the harbours and breakwaters, while Tom Stebbens travelled to the Bristol Channel where he had a good session on the Thornback Rays and Tristan Rowe fished the mighty Chesil beach for Cod, using large hook baits of lugworm and squid. Unfortunately, the cod didn’t play ball but he did land a new personal best Plaice of 3lbs 14oz.
I travelled to Minehead, where I fished aboard Michael Webber-Griffiths charter boat Teddie Boyand and had a great day landing plenty of Congers and three species of Ray. Lewis Hodder and his boat Pegasus out of Lyme Regis has also found some good fish for his anglers. Peter O’Connell and Andy Gregory had Red Gurnards to 2lbs, whilst Richard Howells and Andy Sheader had Blonde Rays of 22lbs and 16lbs respectively.
Brian Lawrence, fishing aboard Stuart Pike’s Orca out of Beer, landed a surprise Brill of 5lbs 4oz. Saleem Ali and Aaron Colhoun, using Mackerel live baits, had a cracking day catching Bass.
A date for the diary is the National Flounder Championship fish on the Teign over the weekend of the 26th and 27th of November, the winner getting a cash prize of £1,250. Full details are available from Teignmouth Angling Club.
Spring Ponds held their monthly competition last week, the winner being Steve Bennet with a bag weight of 34lbs 3oz, the runner up was Jason Fay with Martin Philips taking the third spot. The best tactics on the day was pellet fished on the pole.
Please send pictures and catch reports in to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in our fish of the month competition sponsored by Newbarn Angling Centre and Sidewinder Lures.
- 1 How we can cope with the Enemy Within
- 2 Devon beaches producing a healthy catch
- 3 Johnson looking to turn around the "mess"
- 4 Norrms McNamara: Ten-second delay...
- 5 Jim Parker: Top fashion store Maggie & Co closes doors after 48 years - but 'we leave on a high'
- 6 Part Two of the famous Gents bus and Beacon Down becomes Broken Down!
- 7 Torbay's green spaces go wild
- 8 Picture special: Sunrise in Torquay
- 9 Extended semi-detached house offers scope for annexe
- 10 Driving home for Christmas - but plan ahead to minimise problems