Hard-fought affair as Barton win derby
- Credit: Submitted
A four-wicket local derby win for Barton against Torquay at the Recreation Ground topped the local cricket bill on a weekend when everyone tried to get their heads around new rules covering points for Covid-cancelled matches.
League tables, now being calculated on a points-average basis, could become distinctly volatile over the next few weeks as clubs try to rearrange called-off games, and not everyone is happy with the new arrangements.
Barton, who have surged up the Devon League 'A' Division table on a run of six wins in eight games, bowled out Torquay, without experienced opener Tim Western, for 140 in 41 overs.
It was a typically hard-fought affair - Tom Drake scored 29 and Kesh Wijerathne 29no off 47 balls against Matt Lipton (3-35) and Stuart Bowker (3-23, both off ten overs, while Darren Cowley's ten yielded 1-22.
Barton, themselves without skipper Adam Parker, Aussie all-rounder Justin Saker and veteran batsman Andy Hele, had to graft for their victory even after a first-wicket stand of 62.
But Shaun Needham (43), Adrian Lipton (22) and Aaron Hearn (26) saw them home. Harry Passenger's 6.2 overs gave up only seven runs.
Premier Division Paignton's home game against Exmouth fell victim to Covid 'isolations', while Bovey Tracey lost by 85 runs at Sandford.
- 1 Can you help free the Rowcroft Six - or shall we let them stay where they are?
- 2 Exeter Chiefs replace Native-American brand with nod to Devon's history
- 3 New singers welcome as Torbay Gilbert and Sullivan Society start The Mikado rehearsals
- 4 Unlocking the genetic secrets of Kents Cavern’s Ice Age horses
- 5 Johnson promised cash to 'build bigger, stronger squad'
- 6 Lift off for Air Show but what about Red Arrows?
- 7 Teams work round clock to dismantle old railway bridge
- 8 Frying high after 40 years - and raising thousands for charity
- 9 Hero awards finalist Chris has that spark which makes him extra special!
- 10 From trawler to plate in a day - chef Mitch Tonks bringing Brixham fish straight to customers' doors
Chathura Peiris played one of the innings of the A Division season, pulling Abbotskerswell round from 12-4 to 224 with a knock of 116.
But Plymstock still won by five wickets.
B Division strugglers Dartington/Totnes cheered themselves up with a thrilling one-wicket victory over Ivybridge, chasing down 205 with 11 balls to spare.
In C West, Andrew Kingdon's 123no lifted Stoke Gabriel to 257-5, only for Seamus McKenna (67) and Todd Ballman (91) to put on 166 for Teignmouth/Shaldon's first wicket.
They were still dismissed for 240, Jake Robinson taking 4-39.
Other Saturday fixtures include: A Division - Budleigh Salterton v Torquay, Barton v Seaton, Abbotskerswell v North Devon; B - Chudleigh v Dartington/Totnes, Ipplepen v Plymstock, Ivybridge v Bovey Tracey II; C West - Paignton II v Cornwood II, Ashburton v South Devon, Teignmouth/Shaldon v Hatherleigh II, Bridestowe v Brixham, Plymouth II v Stoke Gabriel; D West - Chelston/Kingskerswell v Ipplepen II, Kingsbridge v Abbotskerswell II, Whitchurch v Barton II, Plympton II v Babbacombe.