Gulls through to Women's FA Cup first round for first time
- Credit: Al Macphee/MiraclePR
Torquay United Women progressed into this season’s FA Cup first round for the first time in their history following a comfortable 6-0 win at Poole Town Ladies.
With manager Grant Fisher away on holiday, Matt Green and Steve Elswood took charge of the Gulls for their trip to the Dorset FA ground.
The hosts, who compete in the FA Women's National League, a division above Torquay, were a tough test on paper for the visitors but a well-drilled Torquay squad never looked in any trouble and limited their opponents to a handful of half chances.
Two first-half goals from striker Helen Kukor and a penalty from new signing Ellie Dory gave the Gulls a 3-0 lead at the break.
In the second half, United continued their dominance with goals from captain Daisy Self and Ellie Bishop before a first career goal from 16-year-old Cicely Downs in the 90th minute, saw United ease into the next round draw.
Torquay were later drawn away to fellow South West Regional Women’s League Premier Division opposition in the form of St Austell Ladies, in the first round proper with ties to be played on Sunday, November 14, with a 1pm kick-off.
Teams from the Championship enter the competition in the third round while Super League teams such as Manchester City and Chelsea enter at the fourth round stage.
- 1 Five new business units planned in coach station overhaul
- 2 Norrms McNamara: Ten-second delay...
- 3 Paul Jolly: Smart motorway common sense
- 4 Flower meadows get Bay buzzing
- 5 Gulls start Trophy journey in Tonbridge
- 6 Extended semi-detached house offers scope for annexe
- 7 Our nights of darts, pool and the birth of Torbay's 'ghostbusters'
- 8 Rowing: GB rower is guest of honour at presentation night
- 9 Coastwatch and disabled sailors team up to ensure safe sailing
- 10 Have a fiver off a Christmas tree at Marldon
United are back in league action this Sunday, as they host Forest Green Rovers at Stoke Gabriel's ground, 2pm kick-off. Admission prices are £3 adults, £1 under-16s and under-fives are free.