Gulls boss Gary Johnson bats away rumours linking striker Danny Wright with Torquay United
- Credit: Tom Sandberg/Pinnacle
Torquay United manager Gary Johnson has batted away speculation linking the Gulls with his former Cheltenham Town striker Danny Wright.
Ex-Histon, Cambridge United, Wrexham, Forest Green Rovers, Gateshead, Kidderminster and Cheltenham centre-forward Wright had been tipped for a move to part-time National League South club Gloucester City after a season with Solihull Moors.
He scored 17 goals for Torquay's NL Premier rivals in the curtailed 2019-2020 campaign.
But the 35-year-old 6ft 2ins tall targetman is now understood to have rejected the Gloucester option.
'I can't discuss any potential signings at this stage, whether the rumours are right or wrong,' said Johnson.
'Even if I have agreed something with somebody in any position, it's a long way from it being done - you never know who else might come in.'
Two new forwards are high on Johnson's list of summer transfer priorities in the wake of the departures of leading scorer Jamie Reid and Jared Lewington.
- 1 First friendly for Torquay United
- 2 Hard-fought affair as Barton win derby
- 3 £15,000 'compensation' as Nemane leaves Torquay United
- 4 South West boasts 'naturally inspiring' crime rates
- 5 Dead head and you'll have chocolate-scented flowers until autumn
- 6 Nemane to Notts
- 7 Spectacular views from Buccaneer's Way walk
- 8 Celebrating the power and strength of local community
- 9 Famous Redcliffe Hotel sold for £4.5 million
- 10 Pro deals for United Academy stars
On top of 15 players who have already agreed new deals, Johnson plans four or five more permanent signings plus a handful of new loan deals.
• In last week's Torbay Weekly, we reported on the recent death of former Torquay United Lottery Manager, and ex-Plymouth Argyle forward, Alex Jackson. Due to a production error, the article was accompanied by a picture of then player-manager Bruce Rioch, instead of Jackson. We apologise for the mistake.