Gary Johnson’s verdict after Torquay United’s pre-season defeat
- Credit: Phil Mingo/PPAUK
Manager Gary Johnson did not sugar any pills after Torquay United’s 2-0 pre-season defeat by NL South Chippenham Town at Plainmoor.
“It was a poor game from our point of view. On the day we didn’t perform,” said Johnson.
“They were hard working, and we didn’t cope with it at any point in the game. And when we needed a bit more quality, we just didn’t have it.
“It was well below the standard we require.
“They got their two goals, and we didn’t have too many opportunities ourselves, which was also disappointing.
“But these things happen, and I know from other pre-seasons I’ve had, and I must have had about 40, that sometimes these games show you more than the games you win.
“It was good to see Jake (Andrews) and Asa (Hall) back.
- 1 Exeter Chiefs replace Native-American brand with nod to Devon's history
- 2 Can you help free the Rowcroft Six - or shall we let them stay where they are?
- 3 Johnson promised cash to 'build bigger, stronger squad'
- 4 New singers welcome as Torbay Gilbert and Sullivan Society start The Mikado rehearsals
- 5 Hero awards finalist Chris has that spark which makes him extra special!
- 6 From trawler to plate in a day - chef Mitch Tonks bringing Brixham fish straight to customers' doors
- 7 Frying high after 40 years - and raising thousands for charity
- 8 Lift off for Air Show but what about Red Arrows?
- 9 Teams work round clock to dismantle old railway bridge
- 10 Inside Oldway Mansion and a journey through its history
“I was under orders to give them 20 minutes today, they will be better for a full week before next Saturday (Bath City A), when we also hope to have another couple available.
“Next week I’ve got to get very near the team that will play against Stockport (first league game Oct 3).”