Johnson wins Manager of Month award
- Credit: Dave Crawford/PPAUK
New Manager Of The Month Gary Johnson has targeted his younger Torquay United players for a ‘pick-you-up’ drive after the Gulls’ extraordinary 6-5 FA Cup defeat by League Two Crawley Town.
Johnson earned the National League award after table-topping United won seven out of eight league and cup October games, their 5-0 rout of previously unbeaten Hartlepool United also named the Performance Of The Month.
United face Boreham Wood (Sat) and Solihull Moors (Tues), both at Plainmoor, and Johnson has stressed: “We must not let the Cup defeat break up our season.”
He revealed: “Some of our younger lads were distraught after Sunday’s game.
“So I rang round a few of them the morning after and said ‘If you’re going to have a career in this game, that’s going to happen every now and then, as well as the good times, so get yourself back up again’.”
Crawley goalkeeper Tom McGill, whose head/neck injury caused a 16-minute stoppage at the weekend, has been released from hospital.
- 1 It's taken a generation but it is definitely now Paignton's turn
- 2 Pre-season fundraiser in memory of footballers Kyle and Hayden
- 3 Jim Parker: Now is the Time for action after Chief Constable's revealing walkabout
- 4 Torquay United 0 Argyle 3
- 5 Argyle sharpness defeats United
- 6 £900,000 state-of-art gym signals start of new era at RIC
- 7 United heading into the future
- 8 Money talks in professional football - but it can't buy success
- 9 Retro Sport: Tracking Plainmoor heroes of the 1950s
- 10 Busy time in the transfer market