Johnson wins Manager of Month award
- Credit: Dave Crawford/PPAUK
New Manager Of The Month Gary Johnson has targeted his younger Torquay United players for a ‘pick-you-up’ drive after the Gulls’ extraordinary 6-5 FA Cup defeat by League Two Crawley Town.
Johnson earned the National League award after table-topping United won seven out of eight league and cup October games, their 5-0 rout of previously unbeaten Hartlepool United also named the Performance Of The Month.
United face Boreham Wood (Sat) and Solihull Moors (Tues), both at Plainmoor, and Johnson has stressed: “We must not let the Cup defeat break up our season.”
He revealed: “Some of our younger lads were distraught after Sunday’s game.
“So I rang round a few of them the morning after and said ‘If you’re going to have a career in this game, that’s going to happen every now and then, as well as the good times, so get yourself back up again’.”
Crawley goalkeeper Tom McGill, whose head/neck injury caused a 16-minute stoppage at the weekend, has been released from hospital.
- 1 Relentless from Torquay United
- 2 Concluding the debate about diesel v petrol v electric cars
- 3 Hilton opens its doors - with a little help from Bert & Buoy and a Riviera palm tree
- 4 Royal Mail set to drop objection to Crossways redevelopment
- 5 500,000 meals and still going strong
- 6 Rowers - and Mr Portillo - in bid to go round world in 80 days and raise money for Rowcroft
- 7 Picture special: Memories of visits to Torbay and South Devon
- 8 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
- 9 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 10 Chance to have your say on power giants' massive investment plans