Johnson wins Manager of Month award
- Credit: Dave Crawford/PPAUK
New Manager Of The Month Gary Johnson has targeted his younger Torquay United players for a ‘pick-you-up’ drive after the Gulls’ extraordinary 6-5 FA Cup defeat by League Two Crawley Town.
Johnson earned the National League award after table-topping United won seven out of eight league and cup October games, their 5-0 rout of previously unbeaten Hartlepool United also named the Performance Of The Month.
United face Boreham Wood (Sat) and Solihull Moors (Tues), both at Plainmoor, and Johnson has stressed: “We must not let the Cup defeat break up our season.”
He revealed: “Some of our younger lads were distraught after Sunday’s game.
“So I rang round a few of them the morning after and said ‘If you’re going to have a career in this game, that’s going to happen every now and then, as well as the good times, so get yourself back up again’.”
Crawley goalkeeper Tom McGill, whose head/neck injury caused a 16-minute stoppage at the weekend, has been released from hospital.
- 1 Probus Club 'home' at last to hear about ghosts, gallows and 'Big Foot'
- 2 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 3 Athletics: Busy and successful weeks on racing calendar
- 4 Junior anglers take the fishing limelight
- 5 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 6 Securing future of Pavilion takes step forward
- 7 Gig racing: Brixham hosts Cornish Pilot Gig Association's veterans' championships
- 8 Feline Network Cat Rescue: Can you offer a home to a golden oldie?
- 9 Fostering - why not consider a vocation that makes a real difference?
- 10 John 'flabbergasted' as he is shortlisted for top award